May 22, 2012

Employment

Well, the party days are over people. I'm employed again! I couldn't be happier about it.

Yesterday was my first day and I think it was one of the best first days I've had. It's hard to really remember the rest, but I do think this one was the least stressful, most relaxed and enjoyable. Either I'm getting good at starting new jobs (5 first-days in 7 years may do that...) or this job is gonna be awesome!

The firm, Hayashi & Wayland, is one of the most well known and respected firms in the Monterey area. Being a smaller area there aren't any large firms, and we are one of the biggest with just about 100 employees. It was started in the 70's and has merged with and acquired I believe 6 small firms over the years.

The first few hours of my day were spent getting set up on my computer and getting to know one of my peers a little bit. Kiely was one of the girls I had gone to lunch with two weeks ago and she seems so fun. When I was introduced to most welcoming, sincerest older man and then later told that he is Warren Wayland (retired but still always around) I became even more excited about the culture and environment. If she hadn't told me who he was I would not have guessed. He was so friendly and warm and really made me feel welcome. He even said 'is this the one I read about with all that amazing tax experience?' awe, make me blush :)

Early on in the day another girl, Casey, excitedly came by to introduce herself. She had been anxiously waiting to come meet the new Aggie in town. She didn't go to A&M but has been a fan her whole life. She went to Abilene Christian and she just moved from the Dallas area in December. She grew up in the same city where my dad lived! She invited me to lunch with herself and the 2 other girls from my interview lunch and we had a nice time. We also agreed its time Texas infiltrate and conquer the firm - the other two didn't quite understand :)

The rest of the day was as relaxed as it started; my boss Gina gave me some small projects to keep me busy while she is out today but nothing too stressful and...best part...I signed up for my 15% 401(k) match! I am SO SO SO excited for that. Not only am I amazed at their contribution level but I'm excited that it is forcing me to contribute more to my retirement. I should have all along, and now I am!

But, as with all good things there is one downfall: Internet is frowned upon. It isn't impossible and can definitely be used on breaks...but is frowned upon throughout the day. So I won't be as available by email as I have been, but I'm sure I'll still find my ways. And I think it's probably worth the trade :)

Here goes day #2!


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment