Jun 15, 2015

Moving Monday: Monterey

In April of 2012 I wrote a farewell to Colorado post. In my memory it was a really funny post, but I just went back and was very disappointed at my humor. So, I'm not going to link to it and I don't recommend you waste your time. Basically, I wrote about the silly things I had learned while living in Colorado and ended with the greatest lesson being that God had amazing plans for unexpected friendships. I ended the blog foreshadowing into my life a bit, wondering if I would one day be writing a similar story of our lives in California and I quoted scripture from Jeremiah when God asks, 'is anything too hard for me?'.

Man. I had noooooo idea.



So, to start, I'll just note some of the fun facts I've learned in my 3 years here which I never would have expected. In no particular order...

All of the songs about California and the images of sunny beaches with bikini bathers are very misleading. The central coast is rarely sunny, definitely not often warm, and you'll find more people in coats than bikinis.

70 degrees is warm, and 55 is cold. 

There really are republicans here. Really! I never would have thought.

But hippies definitely still exist. Like, for real.

I learned more about farming here than in 22 years in Texas. I'm a little ashamed of that actually, but I had no clue I was moving to the agricultural hub that is referred to as the 'salad bowl'.

Along those lines, I will never taste a strawberry as flavorful as at Central Coast farmers' markets.

Traffic in a slow paced smaller town can be just as frustrating as big city traffic. Either that, or I'm in for a ruuuuuuude awakening very soon.

In 3 years, I wished I had an air conditioner about 3 times. Maybe 5. And our heater was turned on even less.



But, despite the social, cultural, and climactic lessons learned here, my bigger shock of all came in the fact that I was completely accurate 3 years ago: California became my home in ways I never thought imaginable and leaving is no easier now than it was last time. 

I have been blessed beyond measure - we have been blessed beyond measure - in our lives here. We've learned about professionalism. I had a great job with some very good mentors and role models, and austin grew even more in his leadership skills as a platoon sergeant to 80 soldiers at a time . We've learned more about parenthood. And not just by having 2 more kids! We've learned more about ourselves, we've learned a ton about marriage and we've grown our family by 2 more babies. Most importantly, we have grown in our faith and love of Christ. It is through Him that the rest has been possible. I came to California thinking I would never have a home here like we did in Colorado, and in a lot of ways we didn't. But in some ways, this is more home than anywhere else has been to date. I realized there is no need to compare or try to morph a new home into the mold of an old home, all I have to do is try my best to keep my heart and mind open to what is next. I'm incredibly sad to walk away and I'm a little afraid of what's ahead. But I can confidently say we are going where God has lead us and He has things in store there which I can't even fathom. It's just not easy to leave all of this.



If ever you find yourself in Monterey, California I have some great recommendations for tourist spots. I know incredible people who can show you around and whom you'd be blessed to know. I have connections at the best accounting firm in the county. And above all else, I can point you in the direction of the most incredible, Spirit filled and life changing church.

It is with sadness, excitement, anxiety and great expectations that I say goodbye. For now. Just until we meet again. Thanks Monterey, we are truly Better Than Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment