Feb 3, 2014

Sometimes it's Just a Little Sign

16 years ago on Wednesday we celebrated my dad's life at his memorial service. What a beautiful service it was. I was 13 and had no idea what was ahead, but with my mom and brothers at my side we stood and praised God and lovingly remembered the man He blessed us with. The whole day (or maybe the whole month) is a pretty big blur but I do remember a few key aspects of the service and one of those aspects came from Father Tom's sermon. 

Tom spoke about the loving husband and father he was. He spoke about the devoted preschool Sunday school teacher he was. He spoke about the great witness he had been for people in the church. And at one point, I remember very clearly, him saying from my dad's perspective, 'I haven't gone far; I'm just only in the next room'.

For years, at my lowest points in my grief, Tom's words have comforted me. On that day and still now I envision myself sitting on that front pew of our church and I imagine my dad just up the back stairs on the corner, waiting in the prayer room. He's not far. He's just in the next room, sitting with our Father and watching over us in all we do.  The truth is I have no solid knowledge about where heaven is or how close or far my dad is. But the thought that death and heaven aren't as far apart as we sometimes imagine has brought more comfort in 16 years than any single line I have been told by someone.

And it's amazing when and where you'll get a sign from God and from a loved one if you are just open and ready to receive.

Yesterday at church our pastor continued his sermon series on the book of revelation. He wasn't speaking about this for long, but toward the beginning he was discussing the concept of Heaven being 'up' and what 'up' really means when you're talking about a world that is a sphere. Then he said, almost verbatim, that he believes 'heaven isn't as far as we usually imagine. I think maybe Heaven is only as far as the next room'

You can call it a coincidence or not, but on the 16th anniversary of my dad being gone I was reminded of the comfort those words have provided. I'm thankful that God guided Father Tom's words 16 years ago and that He guided Pastor Bryan's words yesterday. 

I'm also thankful for the outpouring of text messages, comments and emails that had my phone buzzing nonstop yesterday. Thankful for the love people have for my baby on his birthday, the love people have for my dad they remember, and thankful for the love they have for me. 

I don't always find joy on February 2nd but this year I did, and for that I'm so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment