Oct 18, 2011

A day in the life of a deployed soldier's wife

Hmm, with that title I think I'm onto something. If I ever decide to do a military-only blog maybe I'll make it my blog name :) I doubt that'll ever happen though!

I am writing this post as more of a question. I know I'm very structural and more schedule oriented than some, but I'm just curious how people manage life without being on such a rigid schedule? I don't necessarily WANT to be on this boot camp style regimen, but I don't see how life works otherwise.

So, I'll start with sharing my daily 'goal'. When people are in town visiting this gets thrown out the window for lots of reasons, otherwise this is my day:
5:30 wake up. Ok, that should be in italics or sketchy font or something because it is a benchmark I rarely meet. Austin an I made a deal yesterday that I can only have pumpkin spice lattes on Friday IF I don't press snooze all week. So far, it's a success. One day in and I told snooze where to shove it.

6:15 downstairs to feed pets, make breakfast, turn on rickety receiver which needs warm up time

6:30 wake William, take downstairs for breakfast, tv, diaper change, and getting dressed. That last part takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 minutes.
7:00 leave for Goddard - another benchmark rarely met
4:45 leave work to pick up little bear
6:00 home, eat dinner, play, watch wheel of fortune and see how much money I could be winning
7:00 bath and bed for my little man
7:30 dishes, clean kitchen

8:00-9:00 FREE TIME wahoo I have found an hour in the day for me to scrapbook, play on ipad, watch tv, look at pinterest, make boss'a day gifts etc. This is also where extra cleaning or laundry or organizing or bill paying or cat tail mending or card mailing goes, if not done on the weekend. So my 'free time' does not always equate to 'me time' but I'm trying.

9:00 make lunches, pack gym bag, pick out clothes for next day

9:30 get ready for bed, maybe shower to assist in morning time to actually make my hair look nice
10:00 lights out

If I don't get to sleep by 10:30 it is highly unlikely that I wake up at 5:30 which means my whole day is snowballed and I feel like i'm playing catch up all day.

Buuuuuut I find it impossible that everyone lives with a drill sergeant screaming in their ear as I do. How do you do it? How do you assume a laid back persona while still squeezing it all in? Please help me mask my type A personality as much as possible...

- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment