Oct 2, 2011

Oxygen masks

Thursday on our flight back to Denver the flight attendant did her routine stop, after her safety demo, to kindly remind me that in the event that our oxygen masks drop I need to put mine on first before assisting William. 'yeah, I know' I thought to myself. We have flown more times than I can remember and every time the flight attendants have reiterated the rule. As she went on to tell the next mother I heard that mother ask why. Not in a rude way just questioning. The flight attendant said, 'well if you yourself are not well how can you help your daughter?'

I knew the reason but somehow the way she spelled it out made it much more symbolic Than just oxygen masks.

Because I work and William is in day care all day I struggle with hiring babysitters, especially with Austin gone. If I have a friend or sitter come to the house while he is sleeping that's one thing, but having sitters while he's awake has been reserved for weddings or birthdays or other non-avoidable situations. But after a hectic(to put it lightly) 48 hours in Texas I realized that I may need to 'put on my oxygen mask' before assisting William. As much guilt as I usually carry about babysitters, I realized that I may need some time that isn't for work and isn't for him to unwind and regroup, otherwise my time with him may not be the best it could be.

I came to this realization with a lot of encouragement from my sweet husband, though. I can't take all (much at all) credit for that. But when your husband asks you multiple times if you've made arrangements for a sitter, sends you beautiful flowers



and lists all the things you could do with your time - you'd just be a bad wife not to listen.

So I had miss Kim watch William from about 3 until 10:30 last night. What did I do? A lot of randomness that served little purpose but felt great. I started with a trip to Mecca (target, naturally), then joann's, then watched some football, then painted my nails, did some shopping without buying, then had a couple beers with a friend.

It's amazing how doing nothing can do so much. I woke up today excited to get grocery shopping done, go to the park, and take care of my normal weekend duties. I have plenty of oxygen, and I refilled at just the right time.

Thanks for the encouragement Austin. Much appreciated.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment