Jan 29, 2014

William Wednesday

Yesterday morning William was getting himself dressed and I said, 'I can't believe how you're doing all of that by yourself! You're so big!' He said, 'I'm 4 mommy!' I tried arguing back, but at this point it's just a matter of days. I told him I couldn't believe I almost had a 4 year old, and I asked him what happened to my little bitty baby. 'He's gone!' he responded.

And he pretty much is!

4 is going to be a very fun age I can tell. I recently saw a sign that said the average 4 year old asks something like 650 questions per day, which I'd seen before. And with the birthday fast approaching I've noticed his constant questions have amped up already, almost as if he has a daily benchmark he must reach. But, I truly love it. I love driving in the car and hearing 'mommy what's a supermarket?' and then not 2 minutes later 'mommy why did Archie's heartbeat sound like water?'. I love how obvious it is that his brain is going a mile a minute trying to learn and grow, and the sponge is still absorbing the world around him.

We are very excited for his birthday this weekend. He's having a planes party at a local gymnastics place. They run and play for an hour then eat snacks and cake. What could be better? Luckily I hadn't overdone myself with plans and decorations, keeping it fairly simple, because now I'm not sure how I'd follow through on it with crutches if I needed to! We've got everything lined up and ready to go. I'm excited!

But the best part (I think) will be after the party when we surprise him with a night at Embassy suites. May sound odd, but William has a little love affair with the big hotel we pass daily. It started before we went to Disneyland last April and it's still there. He gets so excited when he sees it and he talks all the time about wanting to go there. We won a free one night stay at a relay raffle last year but hadnt used it, so we decided to use it for his birthday. He's gonna be so excited to go in, ride the elevator, see the water fountain and eat dinner there. I don't know if I've ever been more excited just for a hotel!

I think that's the best part of mommyhood; seeing things through the eyes of a child with the awareness and appreciation of an adult. I hope he's as thrilled as we are anticipating - I'll be sure to report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment