Jan 10, 2014

Archie

Did I write about William predicting I was pregnant before I knew I was pregnant? I'm guessing I did, but if not basically he told a babysitter one night he had no siblings but 'little by little'. She asked if he meant his mom was pregnant and he just said 'little by little'. A few days later I found out I was pregnant!

So Wednesday night when he was so adamant that his baby sister or brother was in fact a brother I didn't really want to argue. He seems to predict things really well and, even if he's wrong, he's far too stubborn to ever think he could possibly be wrong. (Weird huh?) Then yesterday the doctor confirmed what William apparently already knew:


At the beginning of the pregnancy we used to ask William what we would name a boy or a girl. His first pick was Jose for a boy and Elizabeth for a girl, but then a few weeks later he told us that the boys name was to be Paul. He actually said God told him so! Now, I'm not too crazy about the name so we never pushed it too hard but it was pretty funny anytime someone asked him what the name would be!

All the while, as he referred to it as Paul, Austin and I referred to the baby as'the scare pig'. If you haven't seen Monster's University #1 shame on you, and #2 you won't get the reference. There is a character in the movie named Archie the Scare Pig. He is the mascot of a rival university. Around the time the movie came out on DVD, and subsequently was on constant loop on my iPad, we were having a lot of little 'scares'. I think most of the scares were in my head and were a result of my heightened fear of losing the baby I begged and pleaded for for so long. But, at 6 weeks (and then 7, and then 9...) miscarriage is so common - so any abnormal signs are worrisome. I tried my best to remain calm and faithful on the outside, but I was screaming bloody murder on the inside. So, as the scares continued Austin and I dubbed the baby the scare pig. 

William overheard this one day about a month ago and asked what we were talking about. Leaving out the part about being scared we'd lose him, we just said we nicknamed him that, just like Archie. He corrected us saying, 'it's not a scare pig, it's a scare baby. Archie the scare baby'. Ever since then he has referred to his brother as Archie.

So, Paul is but a distant memory in his mind. Only problem is, now Archie is very much at the forefront. Last night at dinner I told William I had a surprise for him. I told him that my doctor looked at Archie with his doctor equipment and told us that Archie is a boy! At first William looked at me with a blank stare, then he said 'yeah, I know' and continued eating. I thought that was a little anti climactic but a few minutes later he blurted out, 'it's a boy!!!' -- maybe he just needed time to process it. After he said that Austin said 'yeah so now as the big brother you get to help us decorate his room and pick his real name and get ready for June when he will be born!'

'His real name is Archie dada'

So, in 6 months or so if you see a blog titled 'Archie Monday' I guess you'll know why!!! We are all three very excited for our little boy who is growing rapidly and is on his way. We'd be equally ecstatic with a girl (well, at least I know 2 of us would) but it's just so exciting to know what it is and begin imagining the bond and relationship that is already growing.

Fingers crossed we can help William come up with a new name before June!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment