Jul 9, 2015

He meets us in our grief

 The first Sunday we were in Texas was Father's Day and sadly we did not go to church. The next week, though, my brother invited us all to try his church so we got up early and drove 45 minutes across town to his church. They love it, so I was excited to visit while were in town.

However, when we got inside and the first song started I was suddenly overcome with grief for what we had left behind. I hadn't really grieved the loss of our church since I had been in town, though I missed it every day, but I was suddenly filled with thoughts like, 'I don't want to do this. I don't want a new church. I want OUR church'. Then something amazing happened; God happened.

After the song the worship leader stopped and said he had been reading his Bible that morning and was in Psalm 27. He was lead to share Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation, so why should I be afraid?". He encouraged everyone to think of what it is we are afraid of and then pray and give it all to God. 

At the moment when I was overcome with a fear of starting fresh and starting over, He met me and reminded me that regardless of where I worship, He is there.

We went back to their church last week and it was much better for me. William, being me in Austin's body as I often say, had told us the day before that he didn't want to go to a new church because it didn't feel like GoKids. But he was also more comfortable in week 2 and was excited to tell me what he learned. I told him we could make that our Houston church if he wanted, and reminded him that we will be finding our Killeen church home very soon. we have shared some verses about fear and strength with him, and it is no coincidence that the 'remember verse' the last 2 weeks for his class has been Joshua 1:9
"This is my command: be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go"

He is perfect, and He has met us where we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment