Sep 23, 2015

It's About the Journey

I've been wanting to keep the blog updated with the move in process, but I kept thinking it'd be best to do it after the fact. It'd be good to look back and see the full picture. But, we had a little setback yesterday and I realized the cliche phrase is probably true: it's not about the end, it's about the journey.

The move in journey hasn't been easy. Finding time to actually unpack and move in while chasing a toddler away from electrical outlets and washing just-one-more-bottle hasn't always worked out. Our house often reminds me of a game of whack a mole. I think 'wow! Look how complete our bedroom looks!' Then I walk into Loretta's room to find a disaster, and things that belong in our bedroom. Next thing I know, our bedroom is a disaster while Loretta's room almost looks cute. That occurs throughout the house, every day. How we manage to have less space in a bigger house (after donating literally 15 huge moving boxes full of stuff) still blows my mind. But, despite all of that, we are making it and this craziness almost feels like our new normal.

We had the babies in a day care center for the time of day when I work. However, for a lot of reasons we decided that wasn't working out. So we have hired someone to watch them in house while I work. This topic deserves a post in itself because there are so many layers to this which I won't dive into today. it's all an adjustment, but I do think it's a better balance and definitely better for the babies. We're in week 2 of this new arrangement and it's going well. A new normal is upon us, yes?

Well, Yesterday after the babies and I picked William up from school we needed to run a quick errand. I hadn't been to target in almost 2 weeks, so naturally I found a need. We were gone for a total of 1.5 hours and in that span of time the hose to our washer busted and water began spraying in our laundry room. By the time I got home with the kids water was running down the driveway. I left screaming kids in the car while I frantically tried to figure out how to shut it off and get austin home. I took the kids out for a few more hours while austin cleared the 1.5 inches of standing water in our downstairs, and I got a damage restoration company out to assess. Where I saw some water as a mere headache for the next 24-48 hours, he saw water damage in the walls, laminate floors needing to be ripped up and replaced, kitchen cabinet issues, and overall probably 3-4 weeks of unrest until we are 'settled again'. I laughed when he chose those words. Laughed out loud. Settled again? When were we settled before? 

May 13. That's when. On May 13 I had the next 6 months 'perfectly' mapped out to a T.

But, here we are. Our downstairs is filled with dehumidifiers, wet boxes, bubbled up flooring, torn up baseboards and loads of fully wet clothes which were so conveniently located in the laundry room ready to wash. It's about the journey?

It's about the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment