Jan 31, 2012

The hunt is on

The hunt is on. Sort of.
A lot of people have been asking me what my plans are as far as work once we move. I think the answer is a step above “your guess is as good as mine”. Monterey Bay is a small area, primarily made up of golf courses and tourists, and the employment opportunities aren’t bountiful. But, somehow I’m not having an anxiety attack (yet).

I’ve been looking periodically at a website I found www.montereybayjobs.com and when I see something that sparks my interest (or matches my experience) I send in my resume. I haven’t seen many, but when I do I give it a shot. I’ll keep looking, and as the time gets closer I will look a little harder and possibly in other areas/avenues.

Part of me wonders if this is the time for me to take a step back and look at where my career is headed – or where I want it to be headed. Part of me wonders if I think that simply because I don’t have much of an option. I don’t think I’ll find a job in a busy, hectic corporate tax department…but my heart isn’t broken much. I do need to find A job, and I do have a “minimum salary requirement” in mind…but other than that, if I have to take a step sideways or backwards or forge a new path all together I’m not totally opposed.

Kaila suggested I work at the container store, but since the nearest one is over an hour away, and since they get a 40% discount and 50% on elfa, I think I wouldn’t quite meet my minimum take-home requirements. Though lots of fun I surely would have!!!

I have, however, taken a look at a few websites for golf courses to see if there are any open positions for beer cart girls. I know this isn’t quite the step you’d expect me to take in my career, but hey- I hear beer cart girls at the ritzy courses can make more than I make currently. To ride on a cart in the sun and serve alcoholic beverages and candy bars to men who make more money than anyone ever needs. What could be so bad about that?

Moving across the country has not proven to be my strong point. I’m not bouncing with excitement and I don’t like the uncertainty of how everything will play out. But I’m impressed with my low level of stress and concern over it, and I do think that this is one of the instances where the only answer is to wait on father time.

In the mean time, I’ll keep my hopes up for an open beer cart on pebble beach.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment