Nov 20, 2013

William Wednesday

Well, the highlight of the week for me has been watching the swinging pendulum. Translation: currently I outrank Austin in William's order of preference. I will bask in it, because I know it will be fleeting. But for now it feels pretty nice! I get the most cuddles, most hugs, he wants me to take him to school every day, he wants me every night at bed...ok, so it's added work, but I'm ok with that!

He's had a really good week. Last week at this time his teacher had sent a note home asking for a parent teacher conference to discuss his behavior. Being the goody two shoes I am, the thought of a note home from a teacher felt like the whole world crashing down. But, I was able to put that aside and just focus on fixing whatever this behavior issue may be. We couldn't schedule our meeting until Friday, so I called the teacher just to get an idea of what the problem was. Turns out our little ball of energy is always a ball of energy and has trouble calming down for things like circle time or other quiet activities. He does great in his math class and at church, so I don't think it's an attention issue - I think it's a focus and captivation issue. I don't think circle time interests him, for whatever reason, so his personal care is low. We have been working a lot this week with him on his 'jobs' at school. His jobs are to keep his pants clean, keep his hands to himself, listen, and stay calm and focused. We've been reinforcing it and the teachers help remind him - and so far he's been doing great.

This weekend was supposed to be a plan-free no-activities type weekend, but somehow that never pans out. Saturday morning/afternoon Austin and I had a relay committee workshop so William played with some of our friends from church. Then when I picked him up we went up to church to help set up for Sunday's service. We have never helped with setup, but he and I both really enjoyed it and it was amazing to see allthe  work that went into getting it ready for Sunday. (Our church is currently in a high school gym so set up as tear down happens each week. We are hoping to move into our own building in January!!!) William liked helping set up the baby room and he played with baby toys for an hour! Didn't know infant toys were still so captivating :) probably more so now than 3 years ago!

Saturday and Sunday Austin had work all day (besides his attendance at our relay meeting and church) so it was just me and William. Sunday we got some grocery shopping done and some packing. And looooooots of laundry. I had hoped to go get all of our family's Christmas presents to avoid shipping...but, time was not on my side. Guess I'll be paying for shipping later! Oh well.

William is very excited for our trip to Texas this weekend. We leave on Saturday and he has told me every morning since Sunday that it's time to go to the airport. We have a countdown sheet that he marks off every night, so I know he knows, he just wishes every day was THE day. But, before we know it we'll be catching a can at 4:30am to head down south! Look out deer and turkey, William is on his way!

No comments:

Post a Comment