Oct 7, 2013

Love-Hate, hate-hate

I would say, after last night's terrible experience, 'all I have to say is I hope texans fans treat opposing fans with more respect' - but that's not entirely true. I have a lot more to say than just that.

But let's start there. I was appalled at a large bulk of the fans we encountered. I've been an opposing fan before, and I've heckled opposing fans before, but never have I felt like people's lives may be in danger for waving the flag of their preferred team. And I think at some point someone's life was in danger as the police swarmed and the whole north end of the stadium watched a fan fight instead of a football thrashing. I don't know if it was 49ers against texans in the stadium or if they were going after their own - either is very likely. But, the amount of cops in the big tailgating area of the parking lot really should have tipped me off to the fact that San Francisco is only marginally better than their counterparts across the bay. But they sure love for Oakland to take the heat!

I'll move on. Not because I'm out of things to say, but because that wasn't the most disgusting part of my evening. No, that came at the hands of the people I paid way too much money to see. 

Last year I had a love-hate relationship with football season. I loved it; I hated the anxiety, but I loved it. In the end I always had at least one win on the weekend between my teams, and even weekends with losses had glimmers of hope. This year though, all my hopes are riding on a 20 year old kid with behavior issues(who sure can throw the football!) because the texans sure aren't doing anything for me. I'm sick of hating other teams simply because they can execute an entire football game. I'm sick of hoping someone breaks a foot bone to ensure they're out for the season but they'll be fine. And I'm sure sick of standing behind Matt schaub because 'he's our guy'.

I saw someone's post on Facebook about how she feels bad for schaub and the verbal thrashing he's taking. She reminded everyone he's just a man trying to do his job and we should treat him with love just as we would if he was our cousin or brother. I agree - sort of. He doesn't need our verbal abuse, but I can say for certain if he were my cousin he'd hear about it from me. I don't think we need to go so far as to have jersey burning parties or stalk him in his neighborhood or any other form of hateful treatment, but I certainly don't see why he's been left in the game after his dismal performance over the last 4 weeks. He's just a man trying to do his job, I get that. But if a man isn't doing his job well, he needs to be replaced. At least for the time being.

He's not alone though. While he is a huge part of why we are 2-3 ( 4 weeks throwing a TD to the wrong team won't help you much) he's not the only one. Our play calling is atrocious. I've been a Kubiak fan since he got hired but I'm pretty sick of his poor and always predictable play calling. It's not working coach - change your tune. And while most fans will stop there and say those 2 are our problem, I think it goes deeper than that. Arian foster needs to get over his ego and stop whining on the sidelines because Ben Tate is getting some playing time. (True story, I watched it). Ed Reed may as well be on the bench cause he sure doesn't seem to care. He dooped our organization into thinking he had one more good year, then 'somehow' needed hip surgery, and he runs around the field like he's playing thanksgiving backyard football before he stuffs himself with turkey. He is not the Ed Reed of Baltimore, and he sure doesn't seem to care. He just needed to get as much cash in his pocket before retirement as possible. Thanks Houston, mission accomplished. And should we talk about special teams? Can I ask who told Keyshawn Martin to run kick returns out when he started 5+ yards deep in the end zone? It worked one out of five times. He needs to know his team and know himself enough to know when to kneel the ball. He's not trindon Holliday, he needs to play like he knows that.

Ahh, trindon Holliday. My heart hurts every time I see him flash across sports center. One of the biggest mistakes kubiak has made.

So - we have a lot of problems. It's not just Matt Schaub, but I bet even with the other problems Tom Brady or Peyton manning could make wins out of it. I waited patiently while we built our franchise and I cheered my heart out as we celebrated 6 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins. But to have a team with this amount of talent and be 2-3!?? This is ridiculous.

I wish I could take it with a grain of salt like my husband who continued to banter with the few friendly fans we could find. I wish I could be like my brother and say all games are worth seeing in person, no matter what the outcome. But I guess I'm more of a sore loser than I would like to be.  I wish I could just quit caring. I wish I could quit watching. But, I know next Sunday I'll turn on my tv and watch with hopes that we've figured something out. Because even though it seems to be a hate-hate relationship these days, I can't ignore the fact that I love the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment