Oct 16, 2013

William Wednesday

I should really quit being surprised by William's manipulative and argumentative skills. But he gets me every time!

First, we went to a friend's house Sunday for football. He took toys to play with and at one point asked if he could play in the backyard. I said yes but told him he had to stay on the concrete because there wasn't grass, only dirt, so I didn't want him to get too dirty before we left. He said 'ok mommy I will' and went and played. 10 minutes later I walked outside and had trouble even finding the concrete beneath the mound of sand he had scooped over:
I said 'William you're so dirty!' And he said 'I'm on the concrete mommy'. Yes, yes you are. And clearly I dressed you appropriately for the day. Guess I better start saving for Harvard Law.

Last night we went to our friends' house. It was our small group night but instead of continuing with week 9 of our study, our leader wanted to have dinner and game night. We had a lot of fun and William loved playing with their daughter Elizabeth. He talks about her a lot and loves to go to her house to play. Usually he stays there with her and the babysitter so he was very comfortable in the house. 

They have three beautiful harps in their living room. The first time I saw them I thought to myself, 'oh man William would destroy those things if they were in our house'. Well, about 1.5 hours into our night I realized there was some pretty, yet random, music coming from behind me. I turned around to see William playing the harp. My heart jumped into my throat ad all I saw was his college fund being cashed out to buy a new harp, or at least repair a broken one. I said, 'William please do not play with that. It's not a toy and I don't have enough money to replace it if it breaks'.  He turned to me and said, 'Elizabeth's grandma says we can play like this' and proceeded to show me how to play it.

Elizabeth's grandmother babysat the first night he was there and apparently his listening ears were functioning just fine that night.

But, in addition to being a true manipulator, he's also a boy after his mommy's heart. Or at least a boy who wants to tug on the strings of my heart. I think I've shared that he likes to pick leaves for me. Some days when I pick him up from school he has a leaf in his cubby that he picked for me during the day. Some moms get flowers, some get mud pies; I get leaves! And you better believe I love every one. Well, Sunday on our walk to church from the parking lot he must have loved me extra because I got 4! 
I was instructed to keep them in my purse, so of course I did. They are my little love letters from my boy. He plays me like a fiddle. Or maybe a harp.

No comments:

Post a Comment