May 12, 2014

Day 10

Counting down, today is day 10 of bed rest. Yep - that's right - bed rest again. And I should clarify - day 10 is only counting work days, cause those are the worst days. Only 10 this time - not too bad and I'm sure it'll be over before I know it!

Ah, bed rest again. Here we are. On Friday I woke up having fairly regular and somewhat painful contractions. I tried convincing myself I didn't need to call the doctor, but I think that's because I was pretty sure I knew what was happening and I didn't want to face it. 

We went to the doctor and I have to say, I probably liked him more than I have at any other appointment. I haven't been crazy about him but all along I've said 'he comes with rave reviews and was described as the best in my area by 2 doctors in San Jose, so even if I don't like him I know I can trust that when I need him to do a great job he will' -- and I think he has. One day when I needed to see him on a day his office was closed he met me there to be sure everything was ok, and made plenty of time to talk to me on his day off. Then Friday he was the perfect blend of calm, thorough, and clear. 

He did a swab to detect the likelihood of labor within 2 weeks. It tests for a protein which I believe comes at the onset of labor. He said if it came back negative there's a 99% chance that my contractions would not lead to labor within 2 weeks. 2 weeks was a magic number because that would get me to 37 which is full term. So all we needed was a negative.

An hour later we found out it was positive. Bummer.

Positive doesn't guarantee labor is imminent, but it is 'very reliable' (he didn't give me the statistic on that one). So he told me to go to the hospital and they'd track Charles on fetal monitors while administering medicine to calm the muscles and slow it down. It took longer to slow them down than he or the nurse anticipated but eventually they got it down to 2 an hour, and the 2 were very minimal. So I was then instructed to go home on 'partial bed rest'. 

I have medicine to take every 4 hours (same as with William) and I am to be as restful as possible. I told him I'd be goin to church and he didn't argue, but beyond that he said I shouldn't go anywhere unless necessary. I can move around the house if needed, and don't have to be laying all day long, but I need to be as still and calm as possible. 

Wanna know what's torture? Having 10 days all alone in a house that I'm not even allowed to clean! Can you imagine the cleaning and organizing that could happen over the next 2 weeks??? The options are endless. Closets, pantries, cupboards, bedrooms -- I'm almost salivating. Instead it's just torture.

So, as I lay here at 4:30 watching Ellen (the absolute best part of bed rest!!!) I am closing down day 10 of my 10 day countdown. 1 down, 9 more to go. I can do this!!!

Oh - and does anyone think the monster truck show qualifies as necessary? Anyone at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment