Nov 9, 2014

My men

(If you don't want s football recap just jump to the last paragraph!)

Saturday afternoon was a very stressful time in my house, particularly from about 3:30-4:00. You see, the aggies (who had a disappointing October to say the least) came out with guns blazing against one of the best teams in the country and looked to be in clear domination over the game.

The problem is, I've seen the aggies lose games when they had control for 50 of the 60 minutes, and as the game came to a close I thought that's what I'd be witnessing again. Don't doubt my allegiance or faith, but I'm a realist. We were imploding. Our offense that had been a well oiled machine couldn't move and our defense suddenly looked like it had just occurred to them, for the first time in the day, that they were facing one of the best teams in the country.

And my heart was racing.

I was holding a sleeping charles for the last 10 minutes of the game while Austin and William built legos. At some point Austin decided it wasn't in Charles's best interest for me to be watching the game anymore. I wasn't really sure why but he says it had something to do with me hopping up off the couch and stomping my feet on the ground like a child in full tantrum mode. We had just narrowly missed giving up 2 points (only ahead by 3) after 3 stupid stupid stupid play calls and I just couldn't take it! I personally thought charles was enjoying it...he spent all of last football season enduring the same treatment in my tummy, so wouldn't this just feel like old times?

But, I was asked to leave the room, and through gritted teeth I decided to respect my husband's (and heart beat's) wishes. I left the room as we punted the ball away and I went back in when I felt I could handle the remainder of the game.

2 minutes left, defense still looking scared out of their minds, and with auburn moving down the field quite nicely I sat silently on the couch. I was all out of words. And then, in the biggest break of luck I've seen in aggie football, auburn made a bonehead mistake and we capitalized - taking the ball back to close out the game with a 41-38 victory.

Heart racing, blood pumping, emotions on high I was finally able to breathe again. As I calmed my nerves William ran in, "mommy! I'm so excited! The Aggies are the football champions of...of...of THE DAY!!!"

I was filled with love and shame all at once. All of that anxiety was over one little game for one little day. But, it all worked out in the end and we are the champions. (Of the day)

How did charles manage to sleep through it all? Well, just before my temper tantrum he had decided 'oh to heck with this football game I'm just gonna focus on a new skill of my own' and just like that he learned to roll over.

See mommy? There are more vital things to focus on sometimes.

I sure love my men!!! But I'm still a big sucker for my boys in maroon and white. Gig 'em aggies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment