Mar 24, 2015

Moving Monday Part 2

One of our favorite parts of living in Colorado was owning our home. We could paint it however we wanted, hang as much stuff on the walls as our hearts desires, build a patio to our liking - it was fun, and it was home. A part of me thought maybe we'd be there indefinitely, as austin was maybe getting out of the army in 2011. Obviously that didn't happen, but it still made it feel so much more like home.

When we moved to California we didn't even consider buying a house. we had no interest in incurring $500,000 of debt for 1,500 sq feet of space. (Still don't!) But, it has been an adjustment for us to go back to being renters while still trying to feel at home. We didn't paint, we did minimal decorating - I know we could have done more to make it cozy and inviting but it was just not an easy adjustment.

So, one if the parts about moving back to Texas that has excited us the most is that we plan to buy a house. The price range is awesome (especially compared to here!) and we can't wait to find a house and call it ours.

Because we had the ability to stay in Houston while we house hunt we won't be making any early trips out to house hunt. We debated having austin fly down there in May, but something about my track record of bed rest and babies born early made us decide to nix that idea. We have enough going on. But that hasn't stopped us (mostly austin) from searching trulia, zillow, and realtor.com on a daily basis to find just what we are looking for.

We want something no bigger than 2,400 square feet - but no smaller than 2,000. Items to think 2,200 is perfect but austin doesn't seem to have a cap on size. I'm just not into big houses myself, and I don't want to clean it :) 

We want 4 bedrooms (again, austin would go for 5) and at least 2 bathrooms but 3 preferably. William and Charles  will share a room (William's request!) and Loretta will have her own (already the princess) The 4th room will serve as my office and guest room, unless there is also an extra space to be an office. I think I prefer a one story house, while austin is indifferent. If it's 2 story we disagree on where we want the master bedroom. 4 years down the road I'll much prefer it on the main floor, but looking at the 12 months ahead of us I'd like to minimize the effort it will take to get from our room to a crying baby's room...or crying babies' rooms. So it seems like a single story would just be easier. 

We have a couple 'internet favorites' (my name for them since our opinions may vary greatly in person) and there is one in particular that I think I'd just love to buy right now.

I'm exhausted thinking about house hunting, making an offer, signing our lives away, and then physically moving into and setting up a new house. But, let's face it, I'm just exhausted all of the time now and I probably shouldn't expect relief anytime in the next 10 years. So, that being said, I can't wait to hold the keys to whatever house God has picked to be the next home of the Wallis family. And I just can't wait to see what is in store for us there!

No comments:

Post a Comment