Feb 16, 2010

Efficient Cooking

I just finished eating lunch and as I savored my last bite of chicken tortilla soup, I realized how thankful I am that Kaila, Jodi and I had our cooking extravaganza 2 weeks ago.

It was all Kaila's idea but I had no objections. I had just gotten off bed rest so the 3 of us wanted to hang out, and when we were trying to think of what to do Kaila suggested we cook a bunch of meals for Austin and I to freeze so that once William was born we wouldn't have to worry about cooking. So one afternoon we all went to the grocery store and got ingredients for 6 meals - then went back to Kaila's and cooked them all. Kaila stayed by the stove, I chopped vegetables, mixed things and poured finished meals into dishes, and Jodi worked on a lot of the assembly of Kaila and my work. In 3 hours we made chicken tortilla soup, chili, baked spaghetti, chicken enchiladas, breakfast burritos, and sloppy-joe type meat for sandwiches.

Almost 2 weeks have gone by since we thawed the first meal the night we brought William home and we still have a pan of baked spaghetti, half of the chili and chicken tortilla soup, and half of the BBQ sandwich meat. We would have enough to make another pan of enchiladas if I didn't love the salsa so much that I could nearly drink it :)

So in 3 hours I was able to feed Austin and myself for 2 weeks. I wonder if I could convince Kaila and Jodi we should do this again??? I guess to be fair we'd have to make more than 6 dishes and split them...but maybe I could milk the new-mom thing just a liiiiiitle but longer???

Plus Steffanie is coming over tonight to make us dinner and Corrine is coming tomorrow. I will definitely need to pay all of this forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment