Jun 2, 2010

I'm a Talker

When our friends Jan and Marty had their first child, a daughter named Maizeanne, at one point Marty told Jan, "I hope our daughter doesn't talk as much as her!" He was referring to me as I was riding in the backseat of their car, talking nonstop to absolutely no one.

I was a talker. On many occasions I can remember my talking being a topic of conversation even! For example:
~in fourth grade Mrs Turner tried moving me to a round table by myself because when I finished my work I was distracting to the other kids in the class. I wasn't bad I just wouldn't stop talking, so she thought isolating me might help. Nope, I kept talking just the same. Talked to the wall, talked to people behind me, talked to myself...talked, talked, talked.

~in fifth grade Mrs Baron told me "silence is golden" so I told her I don't like gold, I like diamonds.(this is still true, by the way, and my birthday is July 19) Therefore, I continued to talk. Again, to anyone or no one - really didn't matter. She didn't try isolating me, she just moved me to a table with other students who finished their work quickly so we would keep the talking contained to one small area.

~growing up my brothers shared a bedroom and obviously my parents shared a bedroom. I'm sure my brothers were jealous of me for having my own room, but I was jealous of the 4 of them because they had someone to talk to at night! So, King Louie, the Genie from Aladdin, and a few select other animals who made the cut that day would lay in bed with me and we'd talk, talk, talk. Because they were unfortunately mute, I would fill in the blanks for them.

~in high school I was in band...insert all the band nerd jokes you want...and I was the drum major. I'll pause here for you while you insert more jokes of me being the head nerd. Done yet? Ok, moving on. When I was trying out for drum major one of the band directors told me she was not at all surprised that I'd like to be drum major because it would give me more opportunities to talk, and sometimes people would even be required to listen!

You get the point; I like to talk. So it should come as no surprise that yesterday on William's Daily Report from his FIRST DAY at daycare the teacher's comments included "he talks a lot - and its so cute!"

You can conclude from the fact that he got a daily report and the fact that I am writing here that we did in fact make it through our first day of day care. Austin and I dropped him off with Miss Kim around 7:20 and after we took a few pictures, stood longingly at the door, and kissed him a billion times we were ready to leave. William was not phased by the whole thing which is just as it should be. I, however, was. I can hold back tears with the best of them under most circumstances, but that my friends was not one of them. I cried the whole way to work, cried some when I got to work, and cried periodically through the day. When I told Paula that I planned to go see him over lunch she said I was a "brave mommy" because she was afraid it would make it harder. She had a good point, and almost had me convinced not to go, but I'm glad I went.

William was so happy when I got there! Miss Kim, his main teacher and the one he really likes, was on her lunch break so Miss Jesse was the only permanent teacher in there and there were 2 floating teachers filling in. When I walked in the room the first thing Miss Jesse said to me was, "Helen here has a new crush. William is quite the flirt!" Helen is 3 months William's elder, trying to rob the cradle I see. I quickly stole William from one floating teacher before Helen could influence him anymore. Then Miss Jesse, who was sitting on the floor, grabbed a miniature beach ball and started playing with it in front of William. He watched as she tossed it around, then she held it directly in front of him to grab. It took a few times of me using his arms to grab the ball, but eventually he figured out how to wrap his arms around it and use his fists to hold it! He was precious and so very proud of himself. Seeing how interactive the teachers were with all the babies and how much fun he was having made it slightly easier for me to leave with the comfort of knowing he is going to be great.

His daily report at the end of the day explained the "Summer Theme" for the week which is carried out in all the classrooms. It told about the teachers singing "You are my Sunshine", the older babies in the room finger painting with summer colors, and playing with the beach ball. Then in the comments section Miss Kim wrote "William had a great first day, he did very well. He is so happy and he talks a LOT - its so cute!" It's 2:30 now and I can not wait for 5:00 to get here so I can go see what fun sorts of things they did today!

No comments:

Post a Comment