Jun 1, 2010

Whirlwind Again

How often do I describe my weekends as “whirlwind weekends”? I feel like its often, but that might be because they really are whirlwinds. We flew to Texas Thursday night and flew back Sunday. While we were there we hardly had a moment to breathe.

We landed late Thursday night and William had been woken up multiple times between getting off the plane, in the car, etc so when he didn’t wake up at Austin’s parent’s house we just decided to let him sleep in his car seat! It seems uncomfortable but he was sleeping so good that we just couldn’t bear to wake him up. Friday morning he woke up at 7:45, which was normal since that’s 6:45 in Denver, and he was a happy little bear. Austin went golfing with Herb, so once I had William fed, dressed, and the car packed I went to my mom’s house so that William could meet his Aunt Mandy and Uncle Leon (POPLAWSKI). My mom, Mandy, William and I went and had lunch then made a quick stop at Ann Taylor Loft. I had gotten an email for 40% off en entire purchase, so they twisted my arm. My mom is dangerous in there though! Get this! Buy this! Try this! Did get some cute clothes, so I guess I can’t blame her TOO much.

Friday night was when the madness began. The rehearsal was at Northgate Country Club where the wedding would be on Saturday and the dinner was at Spring Creek BBQ. The epitome of a Texas rehearsal dinner: shiner bock beer, brisket, and blue bell ice cream. I was in heaven! I’ll add a side note here: Keith’s sister Jenna made a slide show of pictures and the ONE picture in which I appeared I looked awful. So maybe I CAN see a difference between 2007 and now! We couldn’t hang out long – William had been such a good, content boy and never made a fuss but he needed to get home and get to bed. Plus, that’s always a nice way to cover up how lame I am that I need to be in bed early too :)

Saturday morning Austin and I met Brittany and Michael at St Cuthbert for William’s baptism meeting. Before the meeting I assumed we’d just go in, run through the process, and leave but Father Desmond had a lot he wanted to share with the parents and godparents on the sacrament of baptism. I learned a lot and gained a deeper knowledge and appreciate for other things. And thanks to Brittany and Michael for being there – the one mother who had to tell Father Desmond that the child’s godfather couldn’t make it due to other obligations almost got her head bitten off! Pretty sure I almost saw steam coming from his ears. I know this may seem strict, we all have busy lives and other duties, but Father D had reiterated to us, and I’m sure to all the parents, the importance of the commitment to be a godparent and that if the godparents were not committed to be there then they are not the right choice. So thanks Brittany and Michael for reaffirming our decision :)

After the meeting Austin dropped me off at Patty’s mom’s house to get ready for the wedding while he went home and played with William. We ate fruit, I asked Patty, her sister, Keith’s mom and his sister a million questions (I tend to fill silences with questions), and we got our hair done. Once time rolled around we headed off to Northgate to get dressed and turn Patty into a Piassoli. I’ll write more on this tomorrow as I think weddings deserve their own post and this one is already long enough. But just in case you were curious – I had a BLAST. A-mazing. That’s all I’m gonna say. And Patty was stunning. That’s all.

Sunday flew by, and will also be covered by another post, and before we knew it time had rolled around for us to head to the airport again. William was absolutely exhausted and peopled-out, so I think he was pretty happy to be back on a plane and headed home to his own bed…if he knew that’s where we were going. As we were preparing to land in Denver the flight attendant got on the intercom and said, “Because tomorrow is Memorial Day, I want to say thank you to all our troops, at home and abroad, for serving our country and for the sacrifices they’ve made. For them and in honor of those who have given their lives, I would like to lead us all in singing God Bless America.” In a sweet, pure voice she led and I was surprised and pleased by the number of people that chose to join in. With that, we headed home to spend our Memorial Day resting and relaxing, preparing for the week to come. No better way to spend a holiday than in the comfort of my 2 babies' arms!

Happy (belated) Memorial Day to you all – and thanks to the people who give us the reason to celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. I was in a wedding at Northgate Country Club in Houston back in January - how funny!

    ReplyDelete