Dec 1, 2011

Melvin

Two blogs in one day…and on a day when I’m very busy at work…interesting! Technically I wrote the William blog yesterday and just had to add pictures, and if I sit here and think about state taxes for another minute I might burst. So I have something more fun/exciting/thrilling/beautiful to talk about.

MELVIN!!!!!!!!

My mom’s dad’s name was Melvin Jesse Ford. I don’t remember him as he passed away when I was 2, but I hear he was as cool as they came. He was a true horse whisperer, he was a stunt double for Roy Rogers (is that who Aunt Mandy?), he carried the Texas Flag as he rode his horse in the centennial parade, and he was the reason my mom had such high standards for a husband. In turn, her high standards resulted in my dad which gave me super duper high standards, which has ultimately resulted in me having the best husband on the face of the earth. Period.

Point of the story: Melvin Jesse Ford was awesome. So, when looking for the most awesome of awesome names for my new car, Melvin was the perfect fit. I had liked the nickname Expy as I waited for a final name, I liked the idea of naming it after one of the famous explorers like Cortez or … well I don’t know history very well so Cortez. And Dora was even on the board. (get it? Dora the Explorer?) But when Austin nicknamed it DF for Damn Ford, it made me think of my mom’s mom because her initials were DF. I didn’t think “Dorothy” was suitable, but that took me to Melvin. And there you have it – my explorer has the coolest name ever and is unlike other vehicles in its gender. Deal with it.

Meet Melvin!




I was a bit particular about what I wanted. I wanted captains chairs in the middle row, a moonroof, and the navigation and all the toys that come with it. But I didn’t want a DVD player and I didn’t want the extra package that included blind spot monitoring, park assist, and cruise control assist. The trouble was finding one that fit the bill! I worked with 2 different dealers and both tried to sell me vehicles that were close but not exact, until Jon finally realized I had time to buy and I wasn’t going to be persuaded into a car I didn’t want. So when he texted me the window sticker of exactly what I wanted I said “SOLD!” I had wanted to pick it up this Saturday but he wanted the sale in his November books, so last night Brian was wonderful and drove all the way up to Denver to play with William so I could take care of car paperwork. Before Brian took William back home William climbed all over Melvin, turned on the navigation and radio, and played with the steering wheel while the speakers blared “bad to the bone”. It was perfect!



Sorry the pictures aren't great I took them at 10pm in my freezing cold garage!






In case I forget what I drive it's written everywhere...



And because nothing can be perfect, Melvin does have one slight flaw



But Microsoft can't be all that bad can it?

I hated that Austin wasn’t with me, but he did stay up late and was online the whole time so it was as close as it could come. And I can’t wait to pick him up at the airport in our new car!


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment