Apr 9, 2012

MM: Last Monday at Home...or THIS Home

Part of me wishes we had decided to move April 16 instead of April 23. Other than the time with Oh Gosh, the going away BBQ my coworkers have planned (it is also a party for kids with the Fun Bus – look it up, looks awesome!) and a night with my 3 favorite North Dakota girls, I am just ready to leave. The sooner the better at this point. I do realize, though, that if I had planned to leave April 16 we would have had our stuff packed last week, and we’d be at Brian’s house right now, and I’d be saying “well I wish we had just left April 9…” and so on. I know I would have taken the same steps in preparing and I’d be just as ready to go if I had said April 16. April 9 – well that may have been a tighter goal, but you get my point.


We had a busy weekend full of random “stuff” to do. Friday I had my last hair appointment which marked my first sad goodbye. I haven’t known my hairdresser very long so its kind of silly to be that sad – getting my hair done every 6-8 weeks over the last year means I’ve only seen her probably 10 times. But I love her! She’s such a sweet person with a kind heart, and she always does a good job on my hair. I decided to go darker on my hair so that in the event that I’m unemployed for the rest of my life I won’t have as drastic and trashy of a hair-dye line. She went a little darker than I had thought, though she swears some will fade, and I get a lot of funny looks but overall I think people really like the dark hair. So I think it was a success. Saturday I had to pick up my suit from the alterations place to be prepared for my April 30 interview (in hopes, naturally, that I don’t have to worry about trashy hair coloring) and then we ran a few miscellaneous errands. We dropped off some of William’s old stuff at a consignment store and made $40 (considering retirement) and sorted through some more boxes. Remember I said our crawl space was primarily baby stuff, holiday stuff, and army stuff? Well I found 2 miscellaneous boxes in there and went through them…mostly junk. I did find one of Austin’s pay stubs from his first year in the army…pretty entertaining (or sad).


I also got a lot of packing done. It’s hard to think through or know what you’ll want over the span of 2 weeks, especially when in those 2 weeks you’ll be in your house with no stuff, then in someone else’s house, then on the road for 3 days with 3 pets. So in our handy dandy notebook (cue Blues Clues music) I have a packing list which is broken up in sections so that we could really think through what we’ll want. I originally thought we had 2 large suitcases and 2 small suitcases but it turns out, through the process of people dumping old luggage on us, that we actually have 3 large suitcases and 4 small so I think I’m going to re-vamp my suitcase selection. I think we will each just have one suitcase to ourselves and call it done. I got most of Austin’s stuff set aside, some of mine, and most of William’s. One day I will learn to pack myself first because what usually happens is the two of them are packed perfectly while I always have a few items missing. I’ve pulled everything out of the downstairs closet and have put everything that we need with us in there – that way when the movers come Austin can tell them to just ignore that closet and hopefully nothing gets mixed up. I think we’re down to just needing to add things like toiletries, workout clothes, and other stuff that we have to use between now and Thursday.


Thursday – can you believe it? Here I am wishing we were already done but it’s still crazy to think that in 3 days they will be packing up our house. 3 more days of normalcy (or something similar to that) in our house, then 4 days of living with boxes before 7 days at Oh Gosh’s house to close out this season of our lives. What a fun way to end it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment