Apr 18, 2012

No idea

I had NO IDEA. If this little blogging app on my phone had the ability to increase font size, change color, bold, italicize, and underline – I would be doing it all to the words “no idea”. But, my app isn’t that talented so I’ll just reiterate – I had NO IDEA.

I had no idea I’d literally fall in love with the Goddard School and the people who work there. When we signed the papers to have William attend Goddard we were just stunned at the cost. Now, not even two years after his first day, I’d pay double if I had to. Tuition is expensive, but I’m the one getting the better end of the bargain. Leaving my baby in someone else’s care is not an easy thing to do but it’s been exponentially easier than I ever thought it could be.

It started out with Miss Kim and Miss Jennifer – and I adored them from day one. I thought maybe it was beginner’s luck, or maybe they put the best teachers at the front to show off their assets…I was sure the rest of the school couldn’t compare, but I didn’t even care. I just loved them! They were so soothing and patient (with me as much as William) and so reassuring of his development, ailments, insecurities and strengths. And they LOVED him. I’d love to brag and say it’s because it s William, but the love they had for him is a kind that would be impossible to not share with all of the kids. They genuinely love the babies in their room. On days when he was moody, or days when I was moody, or days when one of us was sick – they were the soothing presence that helped get me in gear for a day at work. I cried when William had to leave them, and I was certain I’d never love again. (ok, never love a TEACHER again)

Then I met Cassie and Sabrena and Roland in the zebra room. It wasn’t an instant adoration; I was too stricken with the grief of the loss of the infant room. But next thing I knew I was laughing in the afternoon for 10-15 minutes with the teachers, forgetting I needed to get food in my belly. I blinked and realized I wasn’t running to Kim or Jennifer with my concerns about William’s walking or talking or motor skills. I was texting Cassie for babysitting help and general school questions. I still adored Kim and Jennifer (I still do today) and I still got such a warm feeling when I’d see them, but the zebra teachers exceeded my expectations again. I mean – how is it possible to greet parents with a smile after being spit on, yelled at, punched and bitten by a dozen toddlers all day? I don’t have that kind of patience or love, but the zebra teachers do. And it amazed me.

Cassie resigned from Goddard to have a job closer to home around the time Austin went back to Afghanistan after r&r, so William and I had a rough transition after that. Goddard struggled to find a suitable replacement which meant William struggled with a lack of structure and control over his day and I…well I struggled with the same thing. After a few weeks a replacement was hired, but she really preferred to be in the Hippo class. I think finding a teacher who really PREFERS to be with two-three year olds is like finding a needle in a haystack. So after a few weeks in the zebra room they moved Miss Maria to the next room to be the lead teacher. I received a phone call from the owner saying, “Miss Maria isn’t going to stay with the zebras but William has an incredible bond with her so we’d like to move him up to hippos a month early to avoid any more transitions for him. Would you be ok with that?”

He had known her not even two weeks. But he fell in love with her faster than any other. I hadn’t even had a chance to talk with her much at this point so my worries weren’t eased yet, but knowing that William was attached enough to warrant a phone call calmed me somewhat.

And then I saw them together on his first day in hippos. Miss Maria’s face LIGHTS UP when she sees William and he runs into her arms as fast as he runs into mine. For every moment I thought Kim, Jennifer, Cassie, Sabrena and Roland adored William – I saw a new adoration with Maria. She adores him when he is screaming and crying. She adores him when he refuses to wear shoes. She adores him when he won’t eat lunch. And she adores him when he’s my sweet baby angel too. Naturally I’d give my life or limb for my baby, but I don’t know if I would blurt out “I adore you!” moments after he’s intentionally dumped over a full cup of orange juice on my clean floor.

Teachers have a special non-parental love for their kids. And as a parent, I could not be more thankful for the quality of teachers the Goddard School hires. I always hear Primrose commercials on the radio and their catchy slogan about the strength of their program is “just ask a Primrose mom”. I have no doubt that Primrose offers a wonderful program, and I’m sure the same could be said for a lot of the other school-type day care centers out there. The quality is not in the name or the building, or sometimes even the particular curriculum that is chosen. The quality is in the class of people who are hired, and I truly believe Goddard was the best financial decision we ever made. I don’t care what we spent, it was worth every penny. To see people love my son the way they do has been such a blessing as his mom. I just hope that after I’m done grieving the loss of Goddard, Maria, Brooke (the owner), Shannon (the director) and all the other teachers who have helped mold William I will be able to have as wonderful of an experience wherever William goes next.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment