Oct 23, 2012

Help Please

Ok.  I need help.

Who out there has found the mirage in the desert that is the goldmine for clothing shopping?  Anyone?  I need help!

I have fallen into the very common, boring-workplace wardrobe and I need help out.  The problem is, I don't know where to turn!  So let me tell you my problems and hopefully SOMEONE SOMEWHERE can help me.  Please!

1. All of my clothes are solid colors, a vast majority of which are black and white.
2. All of my clothes can easily be mistaken for each other
3. I'd say 95% of my clothes are for work, and can be added to jeans to pretend I sort of know what the "weekender" look is.
4. I love dresses and flowy skirts but apparently I am behind the times because I am having trouble finding any lately.
5. The weather here makes dressing difficult.  it is fall, yet some days it feels like summer and the next day it feels like winter.
6.  Who am I kidding I don't dress for seasons, I dress in black and white (see #1)
7. I do not know how to build outfits.  There, I admitted it.  I do not know how to see a patterned shirt at the store and think "oh this blue and yellow peacock looking shirt would look fabulous with those green pants". 
8. I have an aversion to expensive clothes.  Expensive = anything over...$40 let's say.  (I do cave in on blue jeans, but that's it)
9. My shoe collection needs some updating and I'm good at shoes but it's pretty pointless to revamp the shoes with the same old clothes. (tempting, but pointless)
10. I have become the mom who goes shopping for myself and comes home with $100 worth of stuff for William and nothing for me.

PLEASE HELP!

Alexis was here this weekend and she inspired me - but then she left!  How rude, right?  She came in with her newly updated Las Vegas-worthy wardrobe (read: Las Vegas= cute, not skank) and didn't seem to be having night sweats over the amount of money spent on the wardrobe additions.  I asked her where to shop and she said "Um, I like anthropologie, white house/black market, nordstroms...I don't know, I have trouble too".  Once at the mall she noticed the newly opened H&M so we thought we'd give the highly acclaimed store a try.  I tried on everything she suggested.  She built what appeared to be cute outfits for both of us but in the end none of the clothes looked good on either of us and we both left empty handed and perplexed.

Her comment was "I guess expensive stores fit curves better?"

My thought was "oh great, my wardrobe will never be updated".

I've tried Kohl's.  I've tried Target.  I'm sick of my staple stores (Ann Taylor, LOFT, etc) because ... well... please re-read my above list.  But anytime I've ever entered the stores Alexis named I have exited promptly upon reading a price tag.

Is there anywhere in this world that can accommodate a curvy figure in a cute, trendy way without taking an entire paycheck????

Anywhere?

A starbucks gift card goes to the person who helps my dilemma the most.  Ready. Set. GAME ON.

**or if you, like me, find yourself in this trap of clothing please commiserate with me**

1 comment:

  1. Friend! I've been having this same problem!! In asking the same questions around to my colleagues (because I unfortunately work at a place where the women are ridiculously stylish and put together), and the responses I've gotten are that it's better to have fewer things but nicer things. So I've started a "process" to close my eyes, hold my breath, buy one expensive thing, and then run out the door before I can change my mind and return it. And I've also been slowly going through my existing closet and filling up Goodwill bags to thin it out. It's a long process but I figure I'll evenutally get to where I need to be. To be honest, I'm not doing so well on clothes, but having small successes on accessories (mostly from Michael Kors). I feel like it's a fair compromise to get me started... at least that's what I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete