Oct 2, 2012

Right Where I Should Be

When Austin and I decided to get involved with the Relay in Seaside we really had no idea what we were agreeing to.  2 weeks before the Relay Austin told me, "I meant I wanted to be involved, I didn't know we were DOING the thing..."  And its true, we had no idea what the involvement would be or what our committment would mean.  We realized after the event that if we wanted to be involved again in 2013 it would take a great deal of planning and coordination on our part, and we weren't 100% sure if we wanted to take that leap.  We knew we'd want to have a team again, but run the show?  Not so sure.

Which is exactly where most first time Relayers find themselves, and precisely why the American Cancer Society staff rope people in by sending them to the 2 day Relay Summit.  When I mentioned to Lindsey I wasn't sure what we'd be able to do for 2013 she said, "Well, go to summit, see what you think and then when you get back we can talk".

Sucker.

I was hooked from the first session Friday morning.  The speakers, statistics, and Relay Family were so motivating and inspiring and really got me excited to be a part of such a great organization.  And then in my first break-out session (we had 5 "general sessions" with all 900 of us then we had 5 break-out sessions of maybe 40 people) I realized I was right where I needed to be.  Why?  Because lesson 1 of Session 1 was:

Remember, as the event chair your job is to delegate; to be the boss.  You aren't the do-er of the committee, you're the boss of the do-ers.

We did a personality evaluation (similar to the one I did a few months ago at work which depicted me as a controlling, bossy know-all lovely person) and this time was no different.  Two words in my description were bossy and controlling.  The upside this time, though, was that it suggested people with my personality be "event chairs or accounting chairs".  So apparently I've found exactly what I've been looking for the past few years.

I found a way to be able to boss people around and be recognized/rewarded for doing so.  Count me IN!  I get to assign jobs, plan meetings, oversee that committee members have the tools and resources necessary to tie it all together, and walk around with a clipboard making sure things are running as they should be.  I was made for this.

So, Seaside Relay for Life 2013: here we come.  It's going to be bigger and better than before and I am here to personally dictate that it happens that way.  Get ready!!!

**and please don't tell my committee members how bossy I am yet.  I'd like them to be fully invested before they find out**

No comments:

Post a Comment