Jul 11, 2014

Relay Friday

Well, here we are. One month from the close of the 2014 Seaside Relay for Life - and this is my first post about it. I can't describe the guilt I feel that this baby (my relay baby) has suffered so much with the arrival of my real baby. It's not for a lack of care, just for a lack of time - or time management, as I mentioned before.

In any case, we are approaching our final Relay in Seaside. It's bittersweet. We have poured so much time and energy into building this Relay and we will be glad in some ways to hand it off to our successors. The only way to keep something fresh and growing is to keep it new and changing, so we know we need to be replaced. But we both love the organization of the American Cancer Society, love Relay itself, and will be sad to step down and let it go. But, hopefully we can stay involved in Relay no matter where we go.

Enough of that though - it's not over yet, there's still PLENTY to do! So, here's an update on what we've been up to.

As you may remember, last year we blew our goals out of the water which was SO exciting. But, it set the bar pretty high for this year and we have been working to try to keep that momentum going. We moved locations this year in anticipation of growth and in an effort to involve more areas of our community. Our event will be held at the Seaside Middle School August 9-10. And we're so excited that this year my mom and Alfredo get to  come back to relay with us! They were there for our first year, so it's nice that they'll be here for our last.

I am hoping that this year with a stronger committee I will be able to relax a little more and really take in more of the event - I can't tell you how many times I jumped over the baseball fence to run here and there and everywhere last year, never sitting and hardly eating. Not to mention the tasks I missed while taking care of other things. But I have confidence in our committee this year and think we will be able to spread the duties well in order to do more and enjoy more.

We have a DJ lined up, 20 teams registered (whoa! last year we only had 13 at the event so that's some improvement) and we have raised double the amount we had at this point last year. But that's not enough - we are still about $30,000 from our goal and that number haunts me at night. I really want to leave Seaside Relay on a high note and better than ever, but I can't do it without the help of my supporters - be it financial, physical, or prayerful. I'm asking that you join me for me last year here in Seaside and help make it the best relay our community has seen.

My personal page can be found here or you can visit www.relayforlife.org/seasideca and navigate through the list of teams to find Team WTB. There you can see the progress of our team, my teammates, and find my personal page. 

I'll do my best to keep the blog updated on progress and status - and please check our page regularly to see how we're doing! If you can support in any way, I can't express my gratitude. If you have in-kind donations you think the event would benefit from, if you have a talent you'd like to share in an entertainment slot, if you want to JOIN us in our fight to end cancer with your presence, or if you feel called to give financially I appreciate your help.

Let's Relay!

No comments:

Post a Comment