Jul 8, 2014

Time management

While I'm running around like a chicken with my head (and arms and legs) cut off and yearning to once again manage my time masterfully, my son has apparently acquired my lost skill.

We have always attempted to minimize electronics with William; tv, movies, iPad, iPhone, leap pad, etc. there's so much mindless electronic stimulation and we don't want it to spiral out of control. He needs to play hands on and truly interact and run around outside -- be a kid. So we've tried to stay in control of it, but recently we put a number to the minimization. His doctor said he should have less than 2 hours per day, so we chose 1.5 hours as the magic number. A great day is one in which he never uses a minute of it - that usually means we had great family fun. But, sometimes you just gotta let it go. Anyway, since instating this rule he's been very good and we have been very diligent.

But Sunday after church we just wanted a little r&r. On our way home I said 'William I have a great idea! When we get home we should all 4 cuddle in mommy Dada's bed and watch monsters university!' Sounds brilliant right? I thought so, and at first he agreed.

But then those ever-moving wheels in his head started cranking a little faster. About 10 minutes after my proposition he said, 
"Mommy I don't think I want watch monsters university that's a long movie and it will be past my electronic time. I want a shorter movie so I don't use up all my time'.

Say what??? Wha...how...what?????? 

I was torn. I was crazy-impressed with his time management skills, proud that he was obedient in following our rules, and so so so mad at myself for declaring a rule that was going to punish myself. And so soon! 

When the student becomes the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment