Apr 9, 2010

My New Addictions

When I was on bed rest I thought there was absolutely nothing on TV after The Price is Right (10:00) until Wheel of Fortune (6:30).

Boy was I wrong.

Thanks to my mom, I have now discovered the food network. If there isn't a show that I'm just dying to watch on at the present time, you can guarantee the food network is on. Half of the time I have no interest in ever cooking what they're cooking that day because so many of them use seafood (remember the shrimp face?) but its still fun to learn little tips and tricks on flavors, chopping, seasoning, etc. I've tried quite a few of the recipes that don't include seafood or too much cheese/cream/other fattening products, and so far haven't been disappointed. I especially prefer the recipes that don't take too much prep time because that means when I go back to work I can still make them! A lot of the chefs have little quirks that annoy me though. For instance, on Down Home with the Neely's I don't think they could possibly refer to each other with pet names any more than they do: I'm gonna add some salt here baby. Ok thanks for seasonin up my chickn hun. No problem sweetie. Alright sugar I'm gonna get started on the sauce. Oh you do that sauce so good baby. REALLY? come on. Or on Everyday Italian when Giada decides to turn on her Italian accent just for Italian words, like "parmigiana", "pasta" or "ricotta". I mean seriously, you either have an accent or you don't. Make up your mind. But, despite the quirks I am glued to the channel all day long.

Except at 3:00. At 3:00 the TV auto tunes to Ellen and I laugh pretty much non stop during the first 20 minutes. After her monologue and jokes sometimes I change the channel if I don't care for the guests (back to the food network of course) but she usually entertains me for the entire hour. She is hilarious. Period. So hilarious that I downloaded her app on my phone so that when I go back to work I can take a break at 3:00 every day to see her monologue. I think my favorite one so far was when she criticized sock makers for being lazy by making their socks fit sizes 5-11. You don't see jean manufacturers labeling their jeans "size 2-12". She also noted that sock manufacturers and hospital gown manufacturers should get together and finish their jobs. I know I am not as funny as she is, so don't hold it against her that the sock story didn't have you rolling on the floor laughing. If you heard her say it, I promise you would have been rolling right along with me.

So if you wonder why I'm not blogging, William isn't the only one to blame. I'm not to blame, that's for sure, but you can point the finger at Paula Dean, Rachael Ray, Giada I can't spell her last name, the Neely's, and Ellen Degeneres. But, have no fear; I return to work in 2.5 weeks and will be back at it here on blogger.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment