Apr 30, 2010

Not the WORST Day of My life

In my attempt to tone down the drama of leaving William and going back to work on Wednesday, I reminded myself all day that it wasn't anywhere near the worst day of my life. It helped me to somewhat keep things in perspective. I am so blessed to have a job to come back to; I am blessed to have a healthy baby boy who I am able to leave to go to work; I'm blessed to have the resources to keep William at home and then send him to a WONDERFUL school program in June - all around I am very blessed in this situation and even though it breaks my heart to hug him goodbye in the morning, I know I am doing what I believe is best for him.

So, off to work I go (or went, as I am already sitting here at my desk)

Instead of attempting to do catch-up posts and have detailed accounts of the time I missed blogging about, I'll save a few key stories for their own special blogs and just let this one be one big catch up. So what all have I left out?

The past 3 months have been wonderful. I had heard but never understood (as you can't until you go through it) the miracle of being a parent. In one day my life became about someone else. If his naps don't coincide with a shower for me, if I don't get to eat lunch until 3:00, if I never get to get dressed for the day or blog or scrapbook or do whatever else it is that i'd like to do - if none of that happens, but I have a happy baby...the day was a success. Sure I tried to keep my days as organized and busy as I could - after all, this is ME we're talking about. But on days that it just didn't work, it didn't matter. I loved being able to watch William grow and learn over the last 3 months. The amount of change in a baby's brain in the first year is just incredible. When he was born he literally knew NOTHING and now he knows his mommy and daddy, he can smile on demand, he knows where to look for his favorite windows, he knows what the sight of his bottle means...he's absorbed even more than I know he has, and I know there's just more and more for him to learn.

We enjoyed having our visitors during his first 2 months. He had his yaya and papa come see him, his uncle brandon and aunt dana, and his honorary-aunt Addie. On top of that we took our trip to Dallas where he met more family. Then after Addie left I had the last 3 weeks of maternity leave to just be at home with him, and I'm glad it worked out that way. He was awake more and more during the days and we got to play, bond, smile, and DANCE. William loves to dance and every day we'd dance along with Ellen. I swear he started to recognize her theme song!

Austin is at home with William this week and next week, and it is a great transition for me. He is so good at sending me pictures and updates throughout the day so I feel more connected to him than if he were already at his school. After Austin goes back to work my mom will be here for one week to watch him, then Austin's mom will be here for the last 2 weeks of May. Then June 1, one day before he turns 4 months old, he'll go to the Goddard school. I know I blogged MONTHS and months ago about the struggle to find a day care, but I had no idea how important that search was. I am so pleased that we found the Goddard school and are able to afford it compared to some of the other day cares we looked at. I feel like he'll be in a great place, in great hands and learning exactly what he needs to be learning.

So, other than 2 other blogs I want to write on specific topics from the last couple months I think we're caught up. My addictions of the food network and ellen will most likely be replaced with a rekindled addiction to coffee as I try to manage working out, going to work, and dropping off/picking up William from day care. Should be a challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so glad things have worked out for you! And better than expected :) still so very happy for you! Welcome back to the blog world :) I've missed you!!

    ReplyDelete