Apr 3, 2010

The Peace of God

Growing up my church had an annual church retreat at Camp Allen in Navasota, TX. One weekend every November we'd all gather for a weekend of fellowship and worship. I also attended summer camp at Camp Allen from 3rd grade until 7th grade, and went to a few other miscellaneous retreats there over the years. There is a lake in the middle of the campgrounds with an outdoor worship center where we held services, and at the lake is a cross that says "I am the way, the truth and the life Follow Me". When my dad died in 1998 he had asked that his ashes be spread at the foot of a white cross near the front of the camp grounds, but because we learned that cross was going to be torn down soon we decided we'd spread them at the base of this cross by the lake so they wouldn't be disturbed. My mom, my brothers and I took a trip to camp allen one day and we took turns spreading his ashes, thinking of him and supporting each other as we quickly marked that spot as one of the most symbolic places in our lives.

Throughout high school and college whenever I needed comfort I made a drive out to Camp Allen for some quiet time by the lake. Sometimes I took friends, but more often than not I went alone. I found peace and comfort by the cross. Whether I talked to my dad, talked to God, yelled in anguish or sat in peace it was always my place to run to find shelter.

Tonight my aunt Laura let me know that Mimi broke her hip today and that her cancer has gotten worse. It pains me to think of her suffering and that there is no relief for her. I talked to Laura for a little bit about the details of the situation, then talked to Brandon to let him know more about what had happened. We had company over for dinner, and we were just about to sit down to eat, so it was taking every ounce of strength in my body not to burst into tears. It wasn't 5 minutes later when God poured out his mercy on me. My phone buzzed and on the screen I saw a text message from Maizeanne with the above picture of the cross by the lake. I am 1500 miles away from my place of shelter, so God decided to send that shelter to me. It doesn't change Mimi's situation, but it does bring me a little bit of peace.

So I'll say a prayer for Mimi that we used to recite at the end of our youth group meetings: Mimi, may the Lord bless you and keep you. May he make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. Mimi, may the Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment