Mar 13, 2012

Corvette

If I had grown up in the age of digital photography I would be able to pull up 20 pictures to add to this post of Alexis and me posing next to random corvettes in random parking lots across the city of Houston. But, I didn’t really get into digital cameras until my senior year of college and…well…I purposely didn’t take many pictures to document myself in that time. So, you’ll just have to use your imagination and take my word for it: We stood by a LOT of corvettes.


The best one we ever took pictures with was a purple one we saw outside the Corps dorms on campus. As always, we took turns standing by it, leaning over to kiss it, sitting on it, and pretending to grab the door handle as the other one took the pictures to document the moment. (We sure were cool kids, I’m glad we found each other.) The reason this corvette was the best (read: most humiliating) is because the owner just happened to be standing less than a football field away. Luckily he was a cool guy, as I’m sure all corvette owners must be, and he let us sit in it and take pictures in it and talked to us about it a lot. He also talked about his son a lot, who happened to be a member of the Corps of cadets, and I’m thinking had one of us jumped at the topic of his son we MAY have had a chance to ride in the car. I always looked back on that memory thinking “man, I should have shown a little more interest in the son because that may have been my only shot at riding in a corvette”.


Nope my friends, it wasn’t. God gave me a second chance at love. And love it was.


I didn’t know I liked fast cars and loud exhausts and getting up to 70mph in second gear. I didn’t know I would ever enjoy racing down a residential street (keep in mind we were the only people on that street all week AND our house was at the very end of the street so it was like our personal drag strip) But I learned that I do have a wild hair or two. Because I LOVED the corvette.


I used to love them for their looks. They just LOOK awesome. I don’t care for Porsches or Mercedes or Lamborghinis (how do you even spell that weird name?) I never thought I really liked the corvette for its abilities, just its looks. Just like all those shallow men out there who marry for looks. But, I found that I am not shallow. I love the corvette’s talents even more than his appearance and his appearance only improves as I learn what all he can do. (Note: I realize vehicles and boats and such are supposed to female, but I feel a little weird having such a lust for another female. Another male is ok, even if I’m married. Heck, my husband had more lust than I did)


The point is - We had SUCH a good time with that car. We made probably 15 trips to the grocery store in a 3 day span, drove to Houston just to get on the freeway, and rode up and down Seawall Boulevard endlessly. Anything to get in that car. We may as well have not been at the beach because I had very little interest in the water (except for the fact that I LOVED waking up and looking out the wall of windows and seeing the waves) We loved it so much that the morning after we had to give her back to her owner I woke up after having multiple dreams about the her. Yes, she has now switched genders because she is the girlfriend of her owner again. I can’t claim her forever.


Because of that, I decided that I should own a corvette one day. Maybe not a brand new one, and maybe not one with the engine that we enjoyed in Galveston. But I should own one. Someday. It was amazing.


So I am starting my bucket list. Item #1: own a corvette. Gotta dream big people.


No comments:

Post a Comment