Dec 11, 2012

When You've Reached Adulthood

Sometimes I like to joke about the moment when you know you're an adult.  For instance:
1. You know you're an adult when you pull an all nighter to do laundry
2. You know you're an adult when you contemplate not taking vacation because of the work that will be waiting for you when you get back
3. You know you're an adult (or maybe this is more about being a parent?) when your beer shelf in your fridge has been empty for weeks.

and so on.

I've found a new one.  You know you're an adult when you understand the meaning of the "stress of Christmas".  I've heard about it forever - everyone has.  December is so stressful, it's such a hard time of year, there's so much to do, yadda yadda.  That's never been me though.  I generally have the majority of my presents purchased by Thanksgiving, the rest are already thought out just not acquired quite yet.  I don't have a crazy hectic social agenda filled with work parties and gift exchanges and the like.  It's always been smooth sailing.

Not this year!  The hussle and bussle and stress and craze - it's all my life has been about.  And I've found that Christmas stress is a self fulfilling prophesy.  I am stressed because I do not know what to buy for Christmas gifts this year, so I'm constantly thinking about how stressed I am.  But my time is spent thinking "oh man I am so lost on gifts this year what's going on?" so more time is wasted without thinking of gifts which results in more stress over it.

And then the next day I  say "oh man, i'm one day closer to Christmas without one more present bought..."  I have been spending so much time THINKING about the reasons I'm stressed (holiday party, gift exchange, another holiday party, wreath making party, another party, gotta pack, gotta get clothes cleaned TO pack..." that my mind is just reeling and I'm standing still doing nothing.

I gotta say - it takes all the fun away.  I usually LOVE Christmas shopping.  I love buying gifts any time of year, and the more the better.  I LOVE Christmas parties and decorations and advent wreaths and calendars and Christmas music...I love it.  But the stress truly casts a dark shadow over all of the joy and just leaves...well...stress!

How do I un-do the hussle and bussle and anxiety and stress before its too late?  I don't want to wake up on December 25 and breath a sigh of relief thinking, "ah, finally, the stress is over".  I want to wake up and think, "AHHHH IT'S HERE!"

How do I reverse it?  I'm holding out hope there's still time...

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how to REVERSE the stress, but I think it says a lot about you that the only thing causing you stress is what to get for gifts. You're not stressed about the parties, you're stressed about the time they take away from finding the perfect gift. I can't convince you to not stress about this, but maybe when/if you find the perfect gift that's what will bring you the JOY! Knowing that you found a thoughtful gift you can give to a loved one. And since that's on Christmas Day, the "stress of Christmas" will turn into the "reason for the season" - being with loved ones and celebrating our Savior!

    ReplyDelete