Dec 5, 2012

William Wednesday

They say every cloud has silver lining...but sometimes it's just really hard to see.  Not today-  it was glaringly obvious, which made up for William's rough start!

While I was getting ready for work Austin woke William up, got him dressed, and was in the process of herding him downstairs.  I heard him say, "Once you get your socks on we can go have peanut butter jelly".  William loved the idea and said "I need a bus dada!" because he likes to pick a shape from my cookie cutters and have a fun shaped sandwich.  Only problem - I knew we were out of bread and Austin didn't.  I went and warned him, but the idea had already been put in William's head.  I dont' think William will ever be described as apathetic about anything because he cares about EVERYTHING...and everything has to go just as he's anticipated.  So once he had it in his head that he'd go downstairs and get a peanut butter jelly bus, finding out eggo waffles would be replacing the bread was unacceptable.

I listened to him cry about it and proclaim he doesn't WANT a waffle while laying on the floor and I quickly finished getting ready to go relieve Austin before he exploded.  Who said parenting isn't a game of tag-team?  Austin had already made the waffle sandwich and cut it into a bus, and it was in the vice grips of William's hands...but the screaming and crying was not stopping and Austin was about to lose it.  He had to leave so before he walked out he said, "William, that's all we have.  eat it or don't."

William and I battled about it for a minute until I just took it away entirely and put it in his school bag.  Then he must have realized - oh wait, i DO want a bus waffle.  Waffles really aren't that bad and possibly a step up from bread even.  And he WAILED.  I started packing the car and something clicked for him to realize he needed to shape up, or maybe he got tired of crying I don't know.  Don't really care I was just glad for the instant change back into his sweet self. 

The ride to school was good; he asked me to sing jingle bells, silent night, and rudolph over and over, and when we pulled onto the army base I said "would you like to go park by dada's truck at his outside work until he is done, then go to school together?"  We don't usually get there early enough but somehow this out-of-the-ordinary morning meltdown ended with us leaving early.  So I thought it'd be a fun idea.  His response:

Yes.  I have to say sorry to dada for throwing a fit.

THE CHILD HAS BEEN LEARNING PEOPLE!  It's not just numbers and letters and fun games that he learns, but he's been learning his manners and when he's out of line.  I was amazed.  Pretty sure Austin appreciated an unprompted apology too.

Oh - and he SCARFED that waffle down.

No comments:

Post a Comment