Nov 9, 2010

My Longest-Standing Friendship

Don't you hate the phrase "this is my old friend?" It sounds bad in 2 ways. Either she's old, and that's not polite, or she's your friend that you've tossed to the curb like you would old grapes or an old couch. So I'll say that Amanda Allen, aka Mandy, aka Trimble Girl, is my longest-standing friend. And to put up with me for the past 18 years says a lot.



I met Amanda in 3rd grade when I joined her YMCA soccer team. She thought I was a snob, as a lot of people tend to when they first meet me (I can't figure it out...) and I thought she was completely immature, crude, and just plain...immature. I don't sound snobby at all!

Over the course of the season though we became great friends. We went to different elementary schools so once soccer season was over we didn't see each other again until the next season. But then following our second season of playing together we then spent the next 7 years in school together. Spent most weekends at each other's houses. Went on family trips. We were inseparable! In junior high people changed our names to Amy and Mandy because we were always together, and to say "Amanda" meant there would always be two responses. Then in high school it changed to Blair and Trimble - so much more mature don't you think? During high school I was really busy with band, so most of my friends were in band with me. I wasn't being cliquish on purpose - just didn't have a whole lot of free time so most of my social life revolved around band events. However, I always had time for Amanda - and she didn't let swimming get in the way of her time for me either.



It hasn't been the easiest 18 years for us; we've had our share (and possibly more) of disputes. But I think that speaks volumes about the love we have for each other. We've managed to work through some pretty big issues and remain close. I think Amanda and I will always be friends - I think there's a connection there that just won't fade, regardless of geographic distance or differences in friends...we somehow remain there for each other. And now that she has a baby boy exactly one year older than mine(and darn near as cute), she's stuck with me for awhile as I ask "so, this time last year did Brayden..." or "How did Brayden learn...". So even if she wants to, she can't get away now!!!



Happy birthday to my first twin, my lovely friend Amanda. Hope Bailey and Brayden shower you with love and kisses!!!

**p.s. I only had about 5 minutes to write this post as I have an all day training at work that I need to run to - so sorry it isn't very well thought out, elaborate, wordy, and a few paragraphs too long like most of my posts. Just had to be sure to get it in today!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'll accept the 'near as cute' comment because it is your son and you can't say somebody else is cuter than your own blood...haha! Thanks so much for thinking of me today- love you bunches and hope to see you soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete