Nov 30, 2010

An Expensive Time of Year

Whew. I just made a list of all of the "unusual" expenses I have in the next week...OH MY GOODNESS. How do these things all come at once? Why does it work that way? And why 3 weeks before Christmas?!

Somehow I find myself needing to spend a good chunk of money on my trailblazer's maintenance, a few last Christmas presents I hadn't planned on, the hotel for Colorado springs this weekend, my plane ticket to Houston for Maize's graduation, tickets to the Houston Texans vs Denver Broncos game, and the locksmith.

Ah, the locksmith. Somehow I glazed over that part of our trip in my post yesterday didn't I?

The week before Thanksgiving I was getting everything organized. I even bragged on the world wide web about how great I am at organizing and preparing for trips. Sure put myself in my place there! I spent the week making sure our bags were packed, had the house cleaners come, wrote up 3 pages of instructions for the house sitter, changed sheets, did laundry...everything was set. Arranged for a ride to the airport, gave him instructions on how to get the trailblazer back into the garage and get out of the garage so he could go home. I had it all set up.

Then, 20 minutes before we were going to board the plane my phone rang and it was my coworker who would be staying at my house.

"Hey Amanda. Um, I'm looking through all these instructions and I'm just kind of confused. I can't remember, how did you want me to get in the house?"
...thinking, thinking, thinking...vividly remembering handing off a house key...doesn't she have a house key? i took it off my key ring, i know i did...i see it in my hand, handing it to...jenny? oh crap. not handing it to jenny. handing it to the house CLEANER.

CRAP CRAP CRAP. Quick. Is there a hidden key? Open window? Big boulder to throw at a window? none of the above. And in my brilliant planning our driver put our truck keys in our truck as he closed it in the garage, so he can't even bring it over. OOOOO call the house cleaner! BRILLIANT! Call, no answer. Call, no answer. Leave message. Plane just pulled up, no time to wait. crap.

Locksmith it is.

I boarded the plane with Jenny sitting on my front porch waiting on the locksmith to arrive, pets inside needing to go potty and eat dinner. Reagan could have starved!!!

When I landed in Houston I called Jenny to make sure she had gotten in. She told me the locksmith wasn't able to get in the front door, but he WIGGLED the back door until the lock came loose. I am paying $150 to someone for WIGGLING MY DOOR?! My mom thinks I should be thankful because the lesson here is that I need to use a bar to keep the back door securely closed. Yes, I am thankful. Thankful to have spent $150. Oh, so, very thankful.

And would you believe that Austin had forgotten to lock his truck that day? So Jenny was sitting 20 feet from an unlocked truck with a button to open the garage door...the key to warmth and free entry...and none of us even thought to have her CHECK to see if it was unlocked. Locked house, unlocked car.

So, as I'm whining about all of my expenses I do realize that all but 1 of them are optional. But in my mind, they are necessary. Texans tickets = necessary. Christmas gifts = necessary. Hotel = necessary. The only one I want to scrounge on is the only one that actually needs to be done...and that's the truck maintenance. Ahhhh, such is life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment