Feb 22, 2012

A long brief

Today will be brief because I’ve got a lot going on. But I thought I’d write a quick post about the quirky and silly things William likes to say.

We have hit the age of repetition. Sing the Thomas song 10 times. Read the blue truck book 3 times. Watch Thomas on repeat (even though he isn’t even really watching it). When he wants us to repeat something (like the song or book or episode or tickling or whatever) he says “up again”. So we hear a lot of:
Thomas song up again
Blue truck book up again
Thomas up again
Mommy tickle up again
Baby rides up again
So its not just his speech you have to decipher, but his little language too. It sounds like English, but phrases are all different. I bet you don’t have a clue what “baby rides up again” even refers to. It’s a secret code.

He also likes to joke about breaking things. This weekend his favorite thing was to say “William broke oh gosh bike”. He alternates between saying he broke something and saying “kaboom” something. So we also heard a lot of “kaBOOOM Melvin!” He loved my reaction when he either broke Melvin or Melvin went kaboom. I’d always respond in a high pitched, shocked voice, “oh NO! not MELVIN!!!” He’d laugh and laugh, then he’d say “William fix it”. Austin started to interject, “That’s ok dada will fix it” and he quickly replied, “no dada fix it, William fix it”. This conversation happened about 1,000 times this weekend. He broke Oh Gosh’s bike, he broke Oh Gosh’s truck, he broke dada’s truck “the boss”, he broke “baby jackl” (that’s the name for his little Harley tricycle), he broke Melvin, he broke dada’s bike…he even broke mommy. But don’t worry, William will fix it all.

All of William’s shoes have special names. He has 6 pair of shoes right now and he has donned them as:
Dada shoes (tennis shoes that look like Austin’s tennis shoes)
Blue shoes (blue tennis shoes)
Man Boots (brown boots that look like little workerman boots)
Thomas boots (duh)
Dada boy boots or cowboy boots – he uses them interchangeably. They are cowboy boots that belonged to Austin when he was this age.
Brown soft shoes – brown crocs with the fur lining
The sad part here is that all of these shoes are size 6, besides the cowboy boots which are 6.5, and his toes are touching the edge of all of them. I spent more than normal on the shoes I bought, and Yaya and Cici each bought a pair which cost more than I think kids’ shoes should cost too, so we’re talking about boxing up $150 worth of baby shoes. And that doesn’t include the cowboy boots. I don’t know if I should be jealous of his shoe collection or embarrassed by the value of shoes that he started wearing a short 6 months ago. But he’s worn them out – so I guess that means we got our money’s worth right? And I think those Thomas boots are going to be worn even if they’re too small…I can’t break him away. The other sad part is that I have enjoyed him having 6 pair of shoes to rotate between, so I doubt I’ll give it up now. I hope you’re seeing one of the many, many reasons I need to find a job – and fast! This boy’s feet need some variety.

He is starting to learn/memorize his books so he likes when we pause and let him finish the pages. The little blue truck (the current #1) says “beep” on almost every page and he LOVES to make the beep sound. And now the noise for oh gosh and dada’s bikes is “beep” too. But its not just the blue truck book that he likes to recite, its any one of the books that can be found in his blue bedtime book bucket. And we have to go through all of them. (man, what will this spoiled little boy do if he ever has to share time with a sibling?)

He’s learning how to boss our pets around to. Reagan gets yelled at more than the other two pets, which should come as no surprise, and William has learned that when Reagan starts scratching on the door mats he is supposed to yell “REAGAN!” as he claps his hands. He also hits the floor and yells “nancy” (which sounds more like scentsy) whenever Nancy is scratching her neck, or he yells “ugh LAYLA” if we ever walk past a pee spot. As you read this, I hope you focus was on William’s cuteness and not our pets’ destruction. Ahhh, our poor house.

William had his first real injury on Monday and I’m not sure who was more upset: him, Austin, me, or Oh Gosh. Austin was upset because he wasn’t holding William’s hand as he walked up the stairs to Oh Gosh’s porch which resulted in him slipping and busting his gums on the concrete. William was upset because – uh, OUCH. Oh gosh was upset because it was at his house, and because the reason William slipped was from getting so excited by seeing Oh Gosh’s face in the doorway. Mommy was upset because mommies feel their baby’s pain ten times over. I can’t count the number of times I’ve rubbed my gums and winced over the last few days, as if I am in true physical pain. I wish I could take it though! If I could I’d rip my gums apart to heal his. But, for now he just has to deal with a swollen upper lip, swollen and sore gums, and some extra blue bell along the way. Poor guy!

Well, my “brief” post isn’t quite as brief as I’d planned. I’m sure you’re as shocked as I am. And even though I went longer than I hoped I’m sure I still missed some of the silly things he says and does. Never a dull moment in the life of a toddler.

- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment