Feb 18, 2012

William Wednesday from 2/8

I am going to try to catch up on the blogs that haven't been posted in the past few weeks. I'm not sure why my phone app isn't working...its becoming a big burden. So - here's WW from 2 weeks ago! I had a LOT of cute pictures in the original post, but they are all on my phone and not computer so you're just going to have to wait a little longer for that part. Until then...


How is it that I waited until FRIDAY to post William Wednesday? And on such an important week – what a shame! In my defense we have had some sort of sickness looming over our house like a dark cloud, and William shortened my workday yesterday with a little fever. He’s ok now – I think his body is still fighting whatever it was, but it doesn’t seem to be anything major. Just a run of the mill winter virus or something.


He had an awesome week though! And how couldn’t he? It was his birthday!!!


Thursday I did as promised: I went home promptly at 5:00 and make cake batter pancakes. For those of you wondering what that means, it’s a recipe for homemade pancakes that incorporates yellow box cake mix and rather than syrup they are glazed with a powdered sugar frosting. Ridiculously sweet.


It isn’t a secret that the day was rough for me and wasn’t an easy one to navigate through. But when I got home and was greeted with a huge hug, then got to sing happy birthday to this sweet face everything else just melted away. He has that way with me.


Speaking of the happy birthday song – he was a BIG fan of it. We tried telling him his birthday was coming up for 3-4 days prior to the actual day which resulted in him requesting “happy birday song” at bedtime. It was usually followed by “happy birday song gin” and again and again. He loooooves the happy birthday song. Before we devoured our cake batter pancakes we called both sets of grandparents and they sang to him. He sat happily, grinning ear to ear, as he was serenaded. He especially likes the part that references his name. It’s like he’s thinking “this is MY song”. Precious face.


We didn’t do much on his actual birthday, but we had a sweet birthday surprise in the form on a snow day on Friday. I think we got somewhere around 14 inches at our house and it all fell so fast that the city practically shut down. Goddard didn’t (they are saints I tell ya – that, or we pay them too much) and William wanted to go play with his friends when we gave him the choice. So after some playing in the snow and some special breakfast, he went to school from about 10-3. Gave us pleeeeeenty of time to buy far more for his birthday than planned. Initially we thought we’d get him a dvd. A DVD. That’s it. A new Thomas movie. We rationalized that between uncles and aunts and grandparents and friends (and Christmas which wasn’t even 2 months ago) that our son probably had far more than necessary and a DVD would suffice. But then we wandered down the toy aisle at walmart. Austin found a large size (what I refer to as Barbie sized) GI Joe which was “hero addition” and was an Army Gunner Sergeant. He’s dressed in real army gear and looks pretty accurate. Naturally William must have this. After we put that in our cart (our cart which was meant to hold cat food and bread) I said “oh lets go by the hot wheels aisle and see if they have the 18wheeler my mom wants to get him”. They didn’t have it – in case you’re wondering. But they did have LOTS of Thomas toys. Lots. Austin ripped some out of my hands as they were falling into the basket actually. We bought him a few and bought a train carrying case for my mom. Austin forced me to leave the aisle, but then I saw a Memory game. William has an iPhone game that has lots of mini-games in it and one of them is a classic memory game. He is AWESOME at it. So what better than a real memory game with sesame street characters? Plus It’s difficulty can be increased as he masters it. So…he didn’t get a movie after all, but we spent about $130 more than we had planned in walmart. Oops. Snow days are dangerous.


Saturday he got the day of his dreams. I really think this must be what his most sacred dreams are. We cooked breakfast together and played trains until Oh Gosh showed up. That in itself is a dream come true. Every time William hears katy-dog tromp in the house he squeals with excitement “oh GOOOOOOOSSHHHHH” and runs up for a hug. Sheer pleasure. Then, if that weren’t enough, oh gosh said the magic words when he asked “William, you wanna go see fish in the water”? “YEAH!!!!”. The adults were all hungry so we stopped at McAlister’s first and mommy failed at all attempts to teach good restaurant behavior. William was trying to perform for Oh Gosh and trying to convince dada to buy him a cookie, so my attempts at table manners and chewing and all of that fell on deaf ears. Austin’s words didn’t though.

Austin: “William, sit your butt down”

William: “No butt down”

Greeeaaaat. Oh gosh and dada laughed hysterically and William realized he had said something funny. Forever noted in his head.


After lunch (and cookies all around) we went to Fish in the Water. Have I told you where that is? That’s Bass Pro Shop. We all just refer to it as “fish in the water” because when you have a 2 year old you do whatever he wants you to. (hmm, maybe that’s just us? Sure sounds like a recipe for disaster…and a spoiled brat…) Anyway, the boys were in heaven…william saw fish, Austin saw guns, brian got camo floor mats…it all worked out. Brian and Austin were both especially proud when I offered William my phone to play his ‘monkey game’ and he said “no monkey game pink phone”. Even a stranger who overheard was proud of him. Testosterone just oozes in that store I guess.


After bass pro and a short little cat nap William was ready to party. Ready for snow, fire pits, hamburgers, the birthday song, Thomas cupcakes, and the best present of the night.


Oh Gosh got him a toy motorcycle that looks almost exactly like Austin’s bike. William refers to it as “dada bike WILLIAM bike baby jackl” because austin’s bike’s name is jackl. And it was almost like brian’s bike and austin’s GI JOE were made together because “army man” fits perfectly and every day for the past week I’ve heard “army man on William bike baby jackl”. I can’t move them off the coffee table (well I can, but when they instantly find their way back it becomes pointless) and there’s no sense in removing army man from the bike. William has decided they belong together.


So, William had as good of a birthday weekend as I could have hoped for. And better than I could have planned. We had so much fun and I already wish it was his third birthday. Wait, nevermind.


No comments:

Post a Comment