Aug 14, 2012

Lots of Things

There are lots of things I want to do...

That are not in the state of California. This is becoming a problem!

Last year I got spoiled because flights from Denver to Houston run every hour, cost about $200, take just over 2 hours, and I lived 20 minutes from the airport. In addition to all of the convenience, William could still fly for free. So - we were blessed in that we flew somewhere almost every other month the entire year. And we had a blast!

Problem is - I now live 1.5 hours from the airport. (well, I'm not counting the Monterey airport because to fly out of there you can add an additional layover PLUS at least $200 more per person) Not only do I live farther from the airport, but flights aren't direct and travel time takes about 6 hours at best. So if I need an hour to get to my gate (cutting it close), and 1.5 hours to drive, that means I have to leave my house at least 8.5 hours before I need to land in Houston versus in Denver when I left 4 hours before I'd land. A 'good deal' is around $250 but I've seen flights for over $500 too. And now instead of paying for one person I have to pay for either 2 or 3.

So last year I could leave work a little early on a Friday and pay $200 for a quick weekend getaway whereas now I have to take the day off work and spend between $500-$1,000 depending if I want to include my husband on these getaways.

Oh, and I technically am not supposed to use vacation until November 21.

So - there are a lot of barriers to travel. Which is becoming quite a thorn in my side because I want to...

Fly to Houston for Kelli's first birthday
Fly to North Dakota to meet kaila's baby
Fly to Houston to FINALLY get to have an organizing party at Alexis's(only 2 years in the dreaming phase)
Fly to Texas to go to an Aggie football game
Fly to Texas to work on wedding stuff for my not-by-blood family
Fly to Chicago to meet my 'cousin' who is already almost 5 months old
Fly to Colorado for Christmas(not optional)
Fly to Colorado for the texans vs broncos
Fly to Houston for Maizeanne's bridal shower
Fly to Houston for Maizeanne's wedding (not optional)

My 'not optional' trips are a starting point of $2500 for travel and a minimum of 5 vacation days.

If I went on all of these trips and only took Austin and William to the 2 listed above that'd be right around $5,000. And tell me what husband wants their wife to leave them 8 weekends between now and January? So, to be fair, realistically he'd have to come on at least half of these trips so you're now talking about $7500 minimum.

$10,000 would be more realistic.

$10,000 and we would not have gone on a single 'vacation'. Nor would we have been gone for longer than 4 days ever.

And this doesn't even cover all the friends and family we want to see just because we miss them. This just scratches the surface of major events. What about the people we just want to see? To visit with. To hug. Just because.

And this is the price we pay for the life we have chosen.

It isn't realistic to expect to go on 10 trips in 6 months. It isn't realistic to expect my job to LET me. And it isn't realistic to even think of blowing $10,000 in 6 months of airare.

It isn't realistic, but that doesn't change the fact that I really, really, really want to.

There are a lot of glamorous sides to this life, and I try to focus on them as much as possible. A life that has planted me in 2 of the most beautiful areas of our country. A life that has allowed me to meet some of the most amazing people. A life that serves others. It's a beautiful life. But it comes at a price, and sometimes I just can't ignore the cost.

I don't have $10,000 to spend or 15 vacation days to use (not to mention the energy) so the cost here is events missed. I may never see another Aggie football game live until I'm in my 40's. I may not get to go to my niece's birthday parties until she's too old to even want me there. I may not get to greet special bundles of joy and welcome them into this world, and I may not be able to physically share in every milestone and every celebration,

But I'm there. I promise my spirit and my heart are there. And when possible, when at all possible, I will be there too.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment