Aug 29, 2012

William Wednesday

I am blogging from my computer today, so that means that the pictures on my phone will not make it into this post.  No fear - I will attempt to post a second William post just of pictures for you :)  

With that disclaimer noted, let's move on!

I am sure you've been waiting patiently for 7 days to see how our pottyin' boy is doing.  And I'm happy to report - he's doing great!  Thursday and Friday he had 2 accidents during the day at school, but went potty every time it was offered.  Saturday I was nervous about how we'd incorporate the potty into our busy plans for the day but it went well!  We put him in a diaper for our drive up to San Francisco but when we got there and went to the restroom his diaper was still dry!  He was scared of the public toilet though, so we opted for diapers while we were in the city.  We still tried at the same time intervals, but I didn't want to push the public potty thing.  Heck, who likes public potties anyway???  Sunday he kept his big boy underwear dry all day with just 2 dirty accidents, and he has now been dry through the night 3 nights in a row!!!  Last night he told us he doesn't want night time diapers anymore, he wants pullups.  (downside to daycare/preschool: they learn EVERYTHING you've tried to keep secret)  So I promised him that we'll buy lightening mcqueen pullups next time we are at the store and until then he only has to wear diapers for bedtime.  That worked last night, hopefully it's a good enough compromise tonight too.

Saturday morning before our trip to the city I had to go into work for a little while.  That meant William and Dada had some boy time at the park.  Boy time at the park means he gets to do more daring things that mommy would never approve of - and he loved it!  He climbed all over the playground that I never take him to, and I think he did pretty well.  He talked about it all day so I'd say he had fun!  Then after I was done at work and we had all eaten lunch we drove up to San Francisco (very strategically timed for naptime) to celebrate Austin's birthday kid-style.  Friday night we had a parents night out date, so Saturday was a William celebration.  And he LOVED it!  We went and parked near the Fisherman's Wharf and walked around the area.  IT seems like it could be a lot of fun as long as you go during non-peak season. The amount of people in the small area was really unbelievable.  We had planned to go there to eat dinner at the Rainforest cafe (remember the gorillas and how they're loud in the rain??? yup - William still loved it!)  We scored the best table in the house - William was able to see the Gorillas, Elephants, Waterfall, starry sky, fish tanks, and butterflies.  He was in a rainforest heaven.  For dinner we ordered him chicken nuggets and fried shrimp and just told him it was nuggets.  Either he was starving, the shrimp didn't taste like shrimp, or my baby likes shrimp!  I can verify that the shrimp did VERY MUCH taste like shrimp, so I guess he just likes shrimp.  Which is great!  Will save him a lifetime of hearing "oh just try it, it doesn't even taste like shrimp..."

After dinner we just walked around some more, saw a bread factory making sourdough bread in animal shapes (mmmmm teddy bear bread) and saw an Alligator bread that weighed 50 pounds!  Ah, love carbs.  Once we could tell William was  tired, and we were too, we headed back home.  it was a fun little trip to the city though!

William's speech has really been fine-tuning lately.  Now that his vocabulary is so profound he has been working on pronunciation.  The exit off Hwy 1 to go to our house is Lightfighter, and when we see the sign WIlliam always says "that sign says lightfighter'.  But what used to sound like "fi-fi-er" is now "lightfighter".  Exact pronunciation.  Just this week he has started to say complex words accurately and make letter/sound combinations I've never heard him make.  So cool!!!

Along with pronunciation, I think he is starting to learn sarcasm and jokes.  Austin and I have a stupid little back and forth banter we do, not sure where it came from, when the other one says something we don't like or somewhat condescending.  For example, if Austin were to tell me, "You sure are driving like a grandma" I would reply "you're a grandma" and he'd say back "i'll show you a grandma!"  It works for anything - and we say it all the time.  We have said it a few times to William but telling a 2 year old "You're a marshmallow" doesn't really go over well. He'd get so mad!  If he asked for a marshmallow and Austin replied with that he'd say, "No I WANT a marshmallow".  The stupid little game made no sense to him, but he has since caught on.  Yesterday Austin asked him if he wanted chicken nuggets for dinner and he said "I'll show you chicken nuggets!"  uh oh..............

So, our pottyin' boy is learning to correctly annunciate and have sarcasm drip from his lips.  And do you know what could be a deadly combination with all of that?  Being a leader.  And guess what?  As much as you can measure leadership in toddlers, I'd say he's atop the charts.  He is a little trendsetter in class and his teachers tell me all the time about things that he's started.  Last week I talked to Ms Rebecca on the phone and she said, "I just have to know, who is toodles?"  I just laughed as I tried to explain the character from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  Toodles is a little creature in the shape if the classic Mickey head/ears.  Whenever Mickey and his friends are having trouble solving a problem they call for Toodles who then brings them a tool to help them solve their problem. So, when they need help, they all call "oh TOODLES".  I don't know why or how that became the key part of the cartoon for William, but he LOVES when Mickey calls for toodles and sometimes he may call for Toodles himself 20 times in a day.  And he doesn't just quietly call him, he SCREAMS for toodles.  So apparently not only does he have the other kids in his class calling toodles, but Ms Rebecca said the teachers can't help but do it too.  Oh TOOOOOOODLES!

So, a leader who wears big boy underwear, has a sarcastic sense of humor, and is also the most handsome boy in the world...naturally he'd have girls flocking to him right?

Right.

One day last week when Austin picked him up from school his top two girls (currently) were both still there.  He usually says bye to Erin and whoever else is still around, but apparently this time Kristin was still there and she ran over to William to hug him goodbye.  Austin said you could instantly see wheels turning in Erin's head as she then, not to be overshadowed, walked over and hugged William too.  

I believe I have the makings for a perfect storm right in front of me.  But it's so fun to watch!!!  This morning I looked at him as he was sleeping and I thought to myself, "it's hard to be sad at how fast time goes and how quickly he grows because every stage is just so much fun I don't even have time to grieve the stage that's gone!"

Give me 10 years, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment