Sep 4, 2012

Labor Day Amazingness

I just wrote an awesome blog.  On my phone.  And it's gone.  I just thought you should know that so that if this post is less than stellar, you can feel better knowing the intent was there.

But, basically, we had the best labor day weekend.  Ever.  In the history of labor day weekends.  Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration but it sure beats last labor day weekend when I sent Austin back to Afghanistan that's for sure!

Before we were even in Monterey it was determined that Brandon, Dana and Kelli would fly in from Houston and Brian would drive in from Colorado for Labor Day.  But I had no idea how awesome the weekend would be!  First of all, someone up above must have had a hand in lifting the fog because we had the most beautiful 72 hours I've seen here on the Monterey Peninsula -and the fog returned today, right on cue.

We spent the weekend at the aquarium, walking around Fisherman's Wharf, feeding sea lions off the dock, driving to Big Sur, and finished it off with a Labor Day bbq at Aunt Joy's house.  It was fantastic.

William was particularly smitten from the minute Brian arrived until his head hit the pillow last night.  Brian got to our house Friday around lunch and, because I was at work, he, Austin and William came and met me for lunch.  The story goes that the entire 20 minute ride consisted of William showing him EVERYTHING.  "look, it's a bird oh gosh"  "oh, that's a sprinkler oh gosh" "oh gosh, look, it's a car" and so on.  He was in heaven with his best buddy around, and he fell back into suit as Oh Gosh's shadow in about .5 seconds.  He needed to know where Oh Gosh was at all times, and generally wanted to be doing the exact same thing.

He was equally excited that baby Kelli was in town.  I was a little worried about his sharing - he's actually never had to share his own toys, and the one time he had to share Oh Gosh's attention with Kelli didn't go very well.  But he was awesome!  He actually LOVES sharing his toys with Kelli and he seems to think anytime she's crying it's because she needs Mater (or any other Cars character)  He also loved to feed her goldfish, we just had to make sure he knew she can't have 10 in her mouth at once.  (we had to help HER understand that as well!)

I'd love to have a "favorite" memory or moment from the weekend but I don't.  It was just great all around!  There were lots of comical moments like when Brandon thought the sea lions in the bay were statues, or how Brian managed to be the nicest person at our table at every restaurant yet managed to have terrible service every time, or how William at some point decided he needs to replace "mommy can I please have ____" with "i NEED ___" and because his uncles laughed, it continued.  All weekend.  But there were just too many to note, and they probably aren't nearly as funny when you weren't involved.  I'll just reiterate that it was the best weekend and I am so thankful that we could host our family in our house.

Aunt Joy was just over the moon to have us all, and we also got the treat of meeting her granddaughter, our 33 year old cousin who we've never known!  It was really special for me.  Joy was just as sharp as ever and had prepared envelopes of pictures for Brandon and Brian, and a card for me.  My card was actually a card Mimi had sent Joy in the summer of 2009 for her birthday.   Mimi had just found out I was pregnant and told Joy she was full of excitement and had something "special" to live for.  Sweetest card, and I'll keep it forever.  It's not very often that anyone gets to see Brandon, Brian and me all together - and Joy was very aware how special it was.  She was so thrilled and we loved being able to spend the day with her.

And, because I'm on my work computer I better cut this short.  Or shorter than I otherwise could, I should say.  I'll add a picture or two, or 10, from my phone in a bit - but just know that no matter how awesome our weekend looks in pictures, they pale in comparison. 

Did I mention I had a wonderful time?

No comments:

Post a Comment