Sep 21, 2012

William's room

Sigh...

Here we go.

From 2000-2007 I moved 6 times. And in all of the moves it took very little time to set up, nest, decorate, and sit back happily calling my new abode 'home'.

But then I lived in a home for 5 years (a brief stint in Houston aside) and in 2010 the house became more of a home than I ever could have imagined. Walking away from the best kitchen I've ever seen in a 'starter' home, walking away from my Aggie office which I meticulously painted, walking away from the bathroom Austin transformed from disgusting to almost like able (he did a great job it was just so tiny!!) - all of that was easy. Sure, I miss those things but they are just parts of our house. It was the little blue room in the front which broke my heart.

In my 100% biased opinion, William had the best nursery ever. Why? Because love was poured into it from the moment I found out I was pregnant. It had been our catch-all room and the only room in our house which we hadn't touched. It housed boxes and odds and ends and the door was opened MAYBE 10 times in 3 years. But the day we found out we were pregnant we started clearing it out. We bought furniture before our first OB appointment! We bought his first boy clothes when I was 12 weeks and the ultrasound technician thought she saw a Peter (yup! She used that word! I couldn't believe it!) we spent an entire weekend painting stripes perfectly around the room after we confirmed it was a boy. I fed my container store addiction as I mapped out and redesigned his closet. I was 6 months pregnant sitting in his room mentally going through a day with an infant to determine what would need to be in the closet, the flow of the room, etc. I poured every ounce of love in my heart into that room.

And then on February 4, 2010 we brought our greatest blessing home and instantly took him to his room to read his bible and sing him songs. We had no idea what we were even supposed to do at that point, but whatever it was it was in his room.

I loved everything about his little room: the paint, the theme, the wall decal, family pictures, closet - I loved it all and took such pride in keeping it organized and clean. His room was the best-kept in the house!

Needless to say, leaving it was hard for me. But I thought that once we got here and I could create a new, big boy room my heart would be full again. I didn't realize I was going to have unattainable expectations.

I have stalled on sharing much of our house on here because it took a long time to feel like home and I have found I'm really not good (some may say bad) at decorating. I want to be able to share pictures of our beautiful decorated, meticulously organized home - but that's not what we have. It's just what I want. And as for william's room, I apparently wanted to transplant his room from Colorado. But - I can't, and when I realized people don't know we had moved him to a big boy bed I decided it was time to put on my big girl panties and get over this childish complex.

So here's his room! I snapped fast pictures this morning while he was asleep, lights still off, so I couldn't back out of my mental notion to get over myself. So, I apologize for the poor quality, messy floor, messy bed, etc. After all, a 2 year old boy lives here!

First: his bed. We bought this bed from a friend of Brian's last fall and it stayed there until we moved. So anytime we slept at Brian's William got this bed and loved it! It was painted white and had lots of little stains/chips/dirty spots from decades of use, so we painted it since we can't paint his walls. I should have gotten a closer picture of the footboard - the spindles and knobs are blue, the rest is red. And his favorite books are rotated on the shelve above for bed time stories.



I still have a small curtain to hem for this little window, and we changed his name that used to hang long ways. The letters were all connected with ribbon and I cut them apart to go above his closet.



I like this roman shade type of curtain (there's probably a better name for it) but Austin rarely ties it up so it just looks like a long curtain :)



And he loves when his artwork is displayed so we framed this caterpillar that he made at Goddard.



His books are constantly being moved and when I ask him to put them away they end up in stacks instead of standing up. I have a bad, bad habit of going behind people and redoing things my way (folding sheets, folding clothes, loading the dish washer) so I'm trying my best to allow William to do things HIS way and let him figure out what he prefers. (as long as he doesn't prefer them on the floor!)

He LOVES his room. Loves. So regardless of how bland and disappointing it is to me, that's what matters. He loves it, white walls and all.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment