May 7, 2013

If farmers markets are for hippies

Then you better just call me a hippie.

Ok I'm kidding. Please don't. Please! My husband may never come home if he hears that. But I do love me some farmers markets!

William and I decided we'd go to the Monterey farmers market today to get his teachers some flowers. It's teacher appreciation week - gotta do something right? I told Casey we were going and she was quick to say she wanted to join, so after I got my workout in I went and got William and met her downtown. We walked up and down the street for a little bit, ate a random dinner (William had a quesadilla, I had some sort of Mediterranean wrap, and Casey had a gyro) shared a cupcake then went on our flower hunt.

In my head I envisioned a cute little bouquet in some sort of small vase. Most of the flowers for sale were tall (albeit beautiful!) so I thought I was going to have to change my plan. Then I saw Casey eyeing some pretty little things. I don't know flower names very well, but I later learned they are sweet peas :)

The salesman (florist? Flower guy?) said they were $2 a bunch or 2 for $5. I tried to remember my vision of small little bouquets and looked at his bundles. I thought 3 bundles would make a perfect bouquet so I said I needed 15. (4 teachers X 3 bundles = 12. 3 leftover? Shucks) He said he'd give me the whole bucket for $20 - I don't even know which of us got the better deal, and I didn't really care. There's something about carrying fresh fragrant flowers wrapped in newspaper through downtown.

After we bought the flowers I found some handwoven gift bags made out of plant leaves. The lady tried explaining to me what they're made of and how 'green' they are which is when I realized I'm not 100% hippie - I really didn't care a lick about those details I just loved the bags!

Once our bellies were full (and William's stroller more full) we headed home. That's where I realized my little vision of bouquets was really better suited for one bundle rather than 3. Now what to do with the other 12+ bundles?

So I may not be the most frugal farmers market shopper, and $50 may have burned its way through my wallet, but my house now smells of sweet peas in almost every room. I'll call it a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment