May 4, 2013

My New Schedule

With tax season behind us, and Austin's 2 month training looming, my boss called me into her office before Disneyland to ask me if I'd like to work fewer hours for May and June.  She started to explain her thought process, saying she assumes it's hard for me to drive to Monterey then Salinas for work, then Monterey then Seaside back home (in case you're not looking at a map, Seaside is in between so I back track if I do drop off/pick up and it's an hour commute)  She also knows I've been trying to be disciplined in working out and she assumed it'd be hard to do all of that.

But she didn't really need to spend much time explaining because I don't think the words "less hours" were even off her tongue before I jumped and said "sign me up!".  She was a little taken back by my enthusiasm and then said, "well, if you like it we could probably work it out for you to do it in July too..." to which I again jumped and said "sign me up!".  In the end, we agreed upon an end date of August 15.  So, as of May 1 and until August 15 I am no longer a "full time working mom".

Don't get too excited.  I just reduced it by 8 hours a week so I'm still getting plenty of work hours in there, but leaving early is amazing.  Monday-Thursday I leave at 3:30 and Friday I leave at 3:00.  I have to admit - it feels very weird leaving while everyone else is sitting there working and I do have feelings of guilt and laziness.  But once I'm on the other side of the office door those feelings seem to disappear and are replaced with a sense of freedom.  

I think I was a bit overzealous in my idea of how much time 1.5 hours is, though.  Because the reduced hours hadn't even begun when I had already created a list a mile long of what I'd do with my time.

Of course I'd work out.  And maybe get groceries.  And car washes.  And gas.  And maybe do laundry.  And clean the house.  And go walk on the beach in pretty days.  And go shopping.

And so far all I've managed to do in that time is work out.  But I've also picked William up a little early and enjoyed not making him be at school longer than any of his classmates.  So, it's still a win.

It does make me a little more stressed at work because I feel like I need to get the same amount of work done in 80% of the time, but I think I'll adjust and find a good balance.  And - like I said - the feelings escape me once I'm out the door.  I'm a free woman.

Before working at my current job I always assumed work was an all-or-nothing type field.  I never thought there would be the chance to slow down and breathe during slower times then pick it back up when things get more hectic.  I don't know if I've mentioned it enough over the last year, but I'm pretty thankful for the job God had lined up for me and the coworkers He provided.  He's pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment