May 17, 2013

Mother's Day

Yesterday William asked me, "but mommy why isn't today Mother's Day?" To which I said, "good question!!!"  And on that note, I thought I'd write about my third Mother's Day. 

The celebrations actually started almost a week early when I got a special package in the mail! You know you and a friend are in sync when you both buy each other the same random present. One of those 'oh - look at that, I should get it' kind of presents. It was a prayer box accompanied by the coolest notepad. The package also included some Lego candies from Buccee's for William. So it was a win for all!

Then Thursday when I got back from my IMPOWER lunch and had calla Lillie's waiting at my desk. One of my favorite flowers, a bouquet of callas will never disappoint. Smart hubs. 

Friday I got home to find a package on my front porch. What a surprise - my brother sent me a calla lily plant! He didn't know it was a favorite - just luck I guess - and I'm really motivated to attempt to keep my first plant alive ever. Please pray for that plant!!! I love it, my thumbs just seem to be really black...or the water runs too freely. I think I'm a perpetual over-waterer. 

THEN on Saturday I got 2 dozen tulips from my mom. I have always loved tulips but have struggled to even make them last (cut flowers, not the plant). Well, thanks to 1-800flowers I now know you are supposed to trim them almost daily, change their water almost daily and put pennies in their water. Pennies? Yes - pennies. Mine turn black after a couple of days but the tulips sure stay gorgeous! 

All of this after my sweet pea spillover from the teacher gifts. My house has been SO happy the past 2 weeks.

Mother's Day itself was fun too. I was scheduled to be in William's Sunday school class so we did that at 9:00 then we headed up to San Mateo to see aunt joy. We had lunch in the restaurant at her place where William showed a little bit of his 3 year old behavior. He was probably pretty good considering he was in a pretty formal restaurant at nap time (with no prior nap) and without anything to distract himself like colors or anything. So I wasn't too hard on him I just prayed the food would come fast!

After lunch we went out onto the patio where there's an open grassy area and a garden. William had brought a toy rocket/missile launcher to show aunt joy (I'm sure she was delighted) so we thought that'd be the perfect place to show it off. While outside someone offered him a couple of balloons. Between the rocket and balloons he was quite content (and burned off tons of energy) playing for about an hour. He was the star out there and loved all of the attention of everyone watching. He also interrupted a game of bocce ball and convinced the players to teach him. He loved it!

After we left Joy's house we had a fun ride home where William got to pee on the side of the highway. (Apparently a high point in life??) Then we capped off our Mother's Day with dinner at a friend's house.

So - while it took coercion on the part of oh gosh and dada just to get William to say happy Mother's Day, and while he was actually just wishing it was Father's Day, and while Austin wasn't here to dote on me in the way I fully expect he would have...i had a fabulous Mother's Day. And I'm still enjoying it as all of my flowers are still going strong!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment