Jul 7, 2013

Relay, July 4th and other stuff

Happy belated Independence Day! I thought about blogging on the day, but I was enjoying my holiday with my boys! My half marathon running partner and I ran a 10k at a July 4th festival in salinas that morning and Austin was signed up to take William on the 5k walk. 

He ended up doing a 5k run because he didn't like walking with all the 'slow people' so he finished in plenty of time to see me cross the finish line. And, because we were in the salad bowl of America and the sponsor of the run was one of the biggest produce providers here, we got a back of greens and vegetables as we crossed the finish line!
After we left the big party the boys crashed and took a nap before we headed to the neighbors' house for dinner and fun.

I didn't do as well in the run as I would have liked but I did ok. I finished in 57 minutes and my goal for the half marathon is 2 hours. At that pace I'd have 6 minutes to go the final .7 miles. So it's almost the exact pace I need - but this race was completely flat and the half marathon is...not. Yuck. Last Saturday we ran 10 miles with 2 being straight uphill and another 1 being rolling hills before we headed back down. It was more challenging than the race will be, except for the additional 3.1 miles to add on, but again - my times wasn't where I want it to be. I hope I can pick up the pace over the next month because I finally feel like my body is on board with the running itself. I think next Saturday is 10 miles again so hopefully I can see some improvement. Or maybe it's supposed to be 12? Yikes. Wish me luck!

Things are continuing to rock and roll with Relay. When I say I'm bursting with excitement that doesn't even BEGIN to explain my enthusiasm. We had a team captain meeting this week which went well. The ideas for our birthday party theme are coming along great and the teams seem to be jumping on board. I arranged an event fundraiser for this Tuesday night at Buffalo Wild Wings and everyone is REALLY excited for that. Especially Austin's soldiers. We are having a team meeting there that night but I think some soldiers want to go twice that day. I love the progress we are making and the direction it's headed. This will be a busy month - I think I'm blowing up my staff partner's email with questions and ideas and updates...I hope she doesn't ask to be removed from seaside next year :) But it's coming along great.

I had made a goal to cross over $5,000 on July 3rd. Our relay's goal is $15,000 so I wanted to say we were over 1/3 of the way there. And on the morning of the 4th we did it! I think now we are at roughly $5,250. Team WTB is at $385 so I'd like to see that number grow (our team goal is $1,000 but truly I'd like it to be $3,000 to match last year) but I'm happy with the overall success of our relay. And with a month to go - I think we can get there.

My birthday is in 2 weeks. The countdown to the end of my 20's will begin. I can't believe it! I've had a few people ask me what I want for my birthday and honestly - I want my relay to do well. I want our team to raise more money than last year. I LOVE purses and shoes and jewelry and clothes - and I might actually be able to use the word 'need' loosely when referring to clothes. But what I'd really love to see is for our relay to surpass our expectations. If you are someone who generally gets me a gift and was thinking 'what will I give her?' - I just made it super easy for ya. Just go to www.relayforlife.org/seasideca and find Team WTB. The best gift I could receive would be for you to help me honor the memory of my dad. 

I think that rounds out my update through Friday. I can't wait to write about my exciting 48 hours with Jodi. Or maybe it's only 30 hours? I don't even care. It's well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment