May 11, 2010

My Cup Runneth Over...again

If you haven’t read my “warm fuzzy feeling” post from January 5, you should go back and read that one now. And a side note, if anyone knows how to insert hyperlinks to previous posts I’d love a lesson. I’m sure they teach that in computers 101, but I haven’t taken that course. J For those of you that already remember my “warm fuzzy feeling” post, I’ll carry on.

Brandon and Dana booked their flights after passing up on the cowboys game and they were planning to come March 10-March 15. We assumed William would be 3 weeks old when they booked their flights, but he ended up being 6 weeks which I think is a little more fun. I have loved William at all ages of course, but he was more alert at 6 weeks than 3. They were so excited to see him, but I have to note that Brandon’s excitement far exceeded Dana’s. He had already called dibs on sitting in the backseat by William’s car seat, and just like my mom he hardly recognized that I was even there at the airport to pick them up J

They flew in on a Wednesday afternoon, took skiing lessons Friday, went skiing with Austin Saturday, and spent the rest of their trip with William, me, and Austin when he wasn’t at work. I’m trying to remember the last time Brandon and I were together without my mom around and the only memory I can think of was in 2003. Brandon had moved into a rental house in the Heights and wanted me to come over to see it. That was a short 30 minute visit, though, and other than that I don’t think we had been together without my mom since before he graduated from high school. So I did have a little bit of apprehension leading up to their visit. I wasn’t concerned at whether or not we’d have fun, I just wasn’t sure what we’d do or what we’d talk about. But about an hour into their visit I knew I had nothing to worry about. We had a wonderful time. Wonderful doesn’t describe it, but I can’t think of a better word. Dana and I get along well, Austin and Brandon had a great time – and most importantly – Brandon and I had a great time. On their last day Brandon said they wanted to take us out to dinner to thank us for having them over and for feeding them for most of the trip, so we went out to eat at PF Changs (yuuummmm fried green beans). The entire meal I kept thinking “I wish this weekend didn’t have to end”. The next morning when I dropped them off at the airport I felt, for the first time, a tinge of pain wishing they could stay longer. I’ve loved every visit we’ve had with family and friends since we’ve been in Colorado, but generally when its time for them to go I’m ok with it. A couple more days would be nice, but its usually ok. This was different though. I wished they didn’t have to leave, and wished they’d just move a few miles away so we could see each other more often. Their trip was even more of a blessing than I had originally thought it would be.

Important to note is Brandon’s growth that I noticed while they were here. He was more confident than I’d seen him since he was in high school, more polite, more considerate, more caring…just like I said in my toast at their wedding: the old Brandon is back. And he blew me away yet again 3 weeks ago when he called me and told me to book a flight to Houston because he was going to pay for William and me to fly down and see Brian. If I thought my cup had runneth over when I first wrote about Brandon on January 5, then I need a new cliché phrase for how I felt when he called me. He said “I just want our whole family to be together. You’ve done so much for me, you loved me when I didn’t give two shits about you or anyone else, and I can’t ever repay that love. But I want to do what I can to show you what it means to me”. Brian had planned to fly to Denver to meet William, but it was so much better to be with our whole family. I’ll save that part for another post as I know I’m carrying on and on, I just thought I’d share the continuation of my warm fuzzy feeling.

In 2008 for Brandon’s birthday I wrote in his card: I have a feeling that this year is going to be your best year yet. The cynic in me wrote it thinking “It just HAS to be”. But I was right, and it has just been getting better and better since. I love you Brandon, and I am so very proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment