Jan 2, 2013

And We're Back!

I will attempt to recap high points (maybe low points too) of our trip to Texas.  We were gone for 10 days and that seemed to be the perfect length for William.  4 days before we left to come back home William saw our suitcases because we were taking a spontaneous hunting trip and he cried, "NOO i don't WANT to go home!".  But on the day it was time to leave he was happy all day, behaved wonderfully, and was ecstatic to see his toys, bed and buddies back home.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves - there are 10 days of stories to tell.

We flew out the Friday before Christmas.  I learned just how large our country is because to fly from here to Houston it took nearly an entire day of travel.  I don't foresee any east coast trips in our near future, I can say that.  William was a wonderful traveler though.  We had to wake him up early to drive to San Jose - had to get up there early enough for a stop at Chick fil a!  He navigated through security and to the gate like the most well behaved and obedient almost-3-year-old you've ever seen.  And he was even better on the planes! 

He slept through our first flight, which was from San Jose to Las Vegas.  He took off just as the wheels went up and woke up as we were walking down the aisle to deplane.  **sigh of relief #1**  With holiday travel and the snow storm in the midwest our flight was a little delayed so we ended up sprinting through the Las Vegas airport.  We were the last to board which meant there were no seats together.  One person was nice enough to move so that we had 2 together, but no one nearby decided to be as gracious so Austin and William sat together and I sat not too far off.  I was a little anxious that William would get restless and misbehave and Austin's public embarrassment would get the better of his parenting skills, but luckily William was really an angel.  There were at least 10 kids under the age of 4 on the flight and I can't even remember the number of compliments I received on how great ours was.  Wasn't TOO hard to beat the other kids on the flight, but I'll take kudos where I can.  William never whined, never cried, and listened to every word Austin said. **sigh of relief #2**

Parenting can't be too much of a high, though.  I think the Good Lord decided long ago that there must be some balance in there, lest parents get too cocky and start shelling out too much unsolicited advice.  So, I had my moment to shine.

Austin asked me to take William to the bathroom toward the end of flight #2 so once the bathroom was open we darted up to the front of the plane.  I quickly decided it was best I took him because I don't even know if Austin and William could fit in there together, much less actually use the restroom.  After William finished I said "William, pull up your pants while mommy goes then we will wash our hands and go get a snack".

Famous last words.

After we washed our hands William proudly unlocked the door and opened it.  We stepped out and 3 flight attendants and the first 3-4 rows had all their eyes on my perfect little travel buddy.  The thoughts that ran through my head:
~aww, they all find my son to be as cute as I do
~William must be giving them a cheesey grin!
~ok he's cute but why are you staring?
~fine, stare away, we're gonna walk...

Oh.  Crap.

I looked down to see William's pants and underwear around his ankles as he stood there grinning.  One flight attendant said "hey boy, we wear pants on this plane!" and everyone laughed as my face buried in my hands.

Lucky for me, he's still just 2.  Also lucky for me - we landed in Houston 20 minutes later and I exited the plane as quickly as possible.

And he was still the perfect little travel buddy.  **sigh of relief #3**

No comments:

Post a Comment