Jan 14, 2013

I'm a Lady in Waiting

I may not be a lady in waiting to queen Victoria like my great, great, great grandmother, but I'm a lady in waiting. I'm waiting for August.

I learned 2 things about myself in the past few months:
1. Football plays way too big a part in my life
2. I'm much better at rooting for a mediocre team than one with great expectations

The second one doesn't bode well for the upcoming year because, as fans, there are a lot of expectations of both of my teams.

We had awesome seasons. The aggies were expected to maybe squeak by with 4 wins and instead we sailed through our first season in the SEC. Not only that, but johnny football put college station back on the radar bringing national media attention. He was electrifying and entertaining and...well he won the heisman, what else do I need to say? The best part for selfish reasons was the fact that all but one game was televised all the way out here on the end of the earth. (Or the west coast - whatever you like to call it) The season was unforgettable and ended with a beautiful beat down on our former foes. I was elated for weeks. No, I'm still elated.

As for the texans, it took about 24 hours after our loss yesterday for me to be able to say this, but we had an awesome season. It wasn't perfect and it wasn't as good as we'd expected, but it was awesome. Only 4 teams went further than we did...there's a lot to say for that. We have a lot of room for improvement and are no where near where I thought we'd be at this point, but I'm still confident they'll get there.

Kaila and Jodi used to make fun of me for referring to the texans and aggies as 'we'. As if I have played any role in the football team's successes or failures. If only they knew how much of my life is affected by the outcome of those games. I think about it all week. I read about it all week. I pray about it all week. And on the weekend I'm on edge and locked in. Even today I've been on my texans app on my phone at least 4 times reading commentary, blogs, recaps, player shout outs...I tune in every few hours to see what I've missed. I'm addicted.

Baseball - yeah, it's fun. 'Take me out to the ball game' and all that jazz. Basketball...loved aggie basketball in college and I tune in from may through the NBA finals every year, but I could take it or leave it. Hockey is fun in person, golf is fun to play and great for napping...

But football. I love football.

We've got 3 more games of the season, but I'm already counting the days until August. (Whyyyyyyy do we have to wait until August???!!!)

I'm a lady in waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment