Jun 13, 2013

It's That Time Again

Saturday William and I spent most of our day at the Salinas Relay for Life.  One year ago we went to our first Relay having no idea what to expect or even what it was all about.  We went because my office is a big sponsor and had a team set up...and let's face it, I needed friends! But I had no idea the journey upon which I was about to embark.

Over the last 12 months Relay has done so much for me personally and has meant so much to our family.  Saturday I realized that - as silly as it might sound - over the last few years I had started to feel like grieving should be over.  It has been over half my life, I shouldn't have bouts of deep sadness and days when all I want to do is cry.  It's my turn to be stronger because it's someone else's turn to grieve.  My time in the tainted lime light should be over.  But one of the best gifts Relay has given me is the understanding that it's not anyone's "turn" and our grief and sorrow over cancer and death doesn't have an expiration date.  It's ok for me to Celebrate, Remember, and Fight Back.  It's ok, no matter how many years it has been.

Relay has also been a wonderful family-focus to center our focus and efforts on.  I can't explain how it feels to sit at a committee meeting with Austin by my side, both passionate and engrossed in working towards a big, successful relay.  And when I hear William's excitement about being dragged to yet another Relay meeting or Relay event or Relay decoration party...he loves it, and he gets excited at recognizing the Relay for Life logo.  It has become a big part of our family and I had no idea a charity or organization could have that type of unifying impact.

Then last weekend William learned exactly why we Relay.  Hearing him say that he relays for his grandpa in Heaven both breaks and mends my heart.  Relay has brought closure, healing, openness, and unity to my heart and our family - and I am so, so grateful.

So, with the Salinas relay behind us and fire re-fueled it's time to gear up my Relay Fridays in my blog!  I'm sure you remember my efforts last year in getting the Seaside Relay started.  While I was very proud of the event, I'm SO hopeful that this year will blow it out of the water. We've been planning since January, but we really started getting the ball rolling after busy season.  And this year we already have a bigger event planned!  Last year we had 4 teams who, together, raised almost $13,000!  This year we have 8 teams - imagine what we can raise with more time, talent, efforts and resources!!!  I am so excited.  With 2013 being the 100th Birthday of the American Cancer Society, we are looking forward to a big Happy Birthday Party on August 17-18.  It is going to be a fantastic event.

But - as always - we need your help.  I am the event coordinator, Austin is a team captain, and William is a willing member of our committee and team.  We are very involved and very busy, and we need all of the support we can get.  Motivation (for days when I am self-concious that no one is going to show up to my meetings!) Prayers (for our endurance, focus, and eventual fatigue) and Finances.  If you think you can help us in any of these ways, we very much appreciate it.  I hope you all know that I wouldn't publicly beg for money if it didn't come from a place so deep in my heart, and I wouldn't use the blog to benefit anyone financially if it wasn't so incredibly important.  But it is.  Relay has given us so much, and with your help I hope we can pay it forward to those who are battling now or may battle in the future.  And, ultimately, with your help I hope that we can finally put an end to cancer.  As they say in the Relay family, we won't sleep because cancer doesn't either and we will walk until no one else has to hear those 3 words: You Have Cancer.

Will you join in our efforts?

Click Here to Learn More
Thanks for all of your love and support.  With the help of this blog, Team WTB raised almost $3,000 last year.  I am beyond thankful and hope this year can be another great success for Team WTB.

No comments:

Post a Comment