Jun 19, 2013

William Wednesday

William officially graduated out of his toddler class into the preschool class last week. Friday was his last day in 'angelfish' and he now rolls with the big kids. I remember when we started at Goddard - looking at the 'other side' of the school, the kids seemed light years away from where we'd ever be with our baby. And yet - Monday morning we ran down the hall of the 'other side' as William excitedly showed dada his new class. My how time flies.

So you know how you always hear that you reap what you sow? And how when kids are bad teenagers you hear adults telling each other 'see? That's payback for what you did to your parents.' ?? Well, I always heard that and smiled inside because I knew I was a good kid. I didn't rebel, didn't act like a bad teenager...I always thought my 'payback' would be picnics and roses.  I paved such a nice pretty path, I'd love to reap what I sowed!

But - apparently when my parents told me at age 5 I should be a lawyer it wasn't because they were just dazzled with my brilliance. They were probably gritting their teeth as I argued endlessly and slapped them in the face with unarguable logic. How do I know this? Because that's what I'm doing now.

How do you respond when you tell your son he can't have a cookie until all his macaroni is off his plate, only to find that he has removed all of the macaroni from the plate to the placemat? Clearly I need to rethink my instructions because he is going to find loopholes.

There were actually a plethora of stories from our trip to Houston in which either I or another adult found ourselves staring Blankly/laughing nervously at the sound logic and argument skills coming from my 3 year old. On the one hand I have a little voice inside saying 'go William! Stand strong!' And proudly cheering as I know how beneficial the skill of argument can be. But on the other hand I have a much louder voice saying, 'do we REALLY have to argue about where on the floor to sit when we put on our shoes???'

Apparently we do! Among many, many other things. So, I may never have found myself in law school. But I better be saving my pennies because it could be that one day I'm paying for it nonetheless. I already am figuratively!
Oh and happy late Father's Day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment