Jun 27, 2013

William Wednesday

I gotta say, this half marathon training is beating me right now - I fell asleep at 8:15 last night in William's room with a half-written William Wednesday sitting on the computer.  Oops!  Hopefully soon I will be conquering the running rather than the other way around.

As for William, he's had a great week!  He's enjoying his new class and talks about his teachers and friends a lot.  He's had a couple of potty hiccups, but I'm trying to be patient and understand it's normal for transitions.  Especially from a child as stubborn as mine.

Speaking of stubborn - he is.  100%.  Casey has a theory of math in relation to his stubbornness.  She says some of us have one stubborn parent, so our chances at turning out stubborn are pretty standard.  Some people are, some aren't.  I would call my mom a lot of things, but I don't think I'd call her stubborn.  Knowing my dad's mom as well as I did, and knowing my dad to the best of my knowledge, I'd say my stubborn genes came from that side.  As for Austin, we don't know if his dad was stubborn but we can say for sure his mom is - and we can say with certainty he is too.  So, by Casey's 1+1 calculation, William was doomed to be stubborn and we were/are in for it.  Just a side note there.

Back to William and his week!

As of a few weeks ago - or maybe it's been over a month now - William has decided he likes to pick leaves for me.  Or leafs as he says.  Some boys pick their moms flowers...mine picks me leaves.  He's picked me flowers I think three times but I am starting to regret not saving the leaves now...I'd have two dozen or more.  Yesterday when I picked him up from school I found a leaf sitting in his cubby.  He picked it at playtime outside and took it through the classroom and into the front where his cubby is.  I love to think he's always thinking of me :)  Last week he told Austin he picks leaves for mommy "because mommy likes to eat leaves" - I'm not sure if he was being silly or making the connection to salad, but I'm just going to take it as a loving gesture.  And start saving my leaves!

Tuesday morning Austin had his wisdom teeth removed. (OUCH)  William didn't know it was happening so on our way home from school I was trying to explain to him why he'd need to be gentle with dada and just lay with him rather than try to play.  Looking back, a simple "dada doesn't feel well" may have been sufficient.  But, I decided to explain the actual situation in the simplest of terms.  The result?  William has asked Dada at least 5 times/day "but dada, why did they take your teeth away?  will you get new teeth?"  He's very concerned!  He almost cried on the way to school yesterday when I told him new teeth wouldn't grow in their place, so if I get asked that question again I may have to tell a little white lie.  And in the future - even simpler explanations will do.

We are hoping to go see Monsters University this weekend.  William is SO excited.  I'd like to pretend he's the most excited person in the house, but I'd be lying.  He does come in close second!  He's been talking about it for weeks...partially because I made the mistake of telling him it came out on Father's Day weekend (long story, but that was not correct...) and then last weekend he knew it was out but we didn't go see it.  So - hopefully this weekend is THE weekend.  Finally time to see when Mike and Sulley became best pals.  I...I mean William...can't wait!

And, I've saved the best randomness for last.  On Sunday Austin and I were both working in kids' church.  Austin was assigned to the "lesson" station and I was assigned to the 2nd-5th graders.  The structure over the summer is more of a VBS style setting than a regular Sunday school setting as there are 4 stations that each class will rotate through.  One station is memory verse.  My 2nd-5th graders struggled a LOT with their verse but apparently the pre-school class has some rock stars.  One in particular :)  He was so proud to tell us he got a new car for remembering his verse, and he has recited it a few times this week.  Genesis 1:1.  He breaks it up (maybe that's how they were taught to remember it) and he says "genesis 1:1 in the beginning"  then pauses before moving on.  It's pretty precious, and I love how excited he is to learn it.  We are very glad we found a church that we both like so much and also has a great kids program where William can learn even more.

So - that's William's week in review.  Random and all over the map, but as always - full of learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment